Trouble deciding...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. I would search the threads to see if someone was able to figure out a way to control just the freezer portion of a refrigerator. I think that most household units use a single compressor, which would prohibit you from doing so, but I could be incorrect.

The goal is to be able to use a refrigerator or freezer to maintain a consistent temp for the fermentation temperature range of your yeast. For ales, you will usually be in the 60's. For lagers, lower. The most common option is a small chest freezer, but some people use refrigerators or other such options.

I have a full size fridge with top freezer that isn't being used. Could that be used? Or is a mini fridge or chest freezer the best route?

Typically the freezer on a refrigerator doesn't have a completely different cooling system so when you controled the freezer for fermenting, all the food in the refrigerator would spoil.

I have a full size fridge with top freezer that isn't being used. Could that be used? Or is a mini fridge or chest freezer the best route?

When you said "isn't being used" did you mean the whole thing, or just the top freezer section is unused? If you meant the whole thing, then yes, you can ferment in the refrigerator with an STC, Johnson, or something similar to control the temp.

If you mean just the freezer section was unused, then no, it won't work. First, your fermenter probably won't fit (duh) and second, you need the freezer at least as cold, or colder, than the fridge, which is too cold for your beer to ferment.

I think what ResQue is asking if the fridge can be used?

Yes it can, you will need a simple controller aka ebay stc1000, or ranco or other.

It is currently unplugged. So neither the fridge nor the freezer portion is being used.

FWIW I vote for a 15 gallon kettle. You can get by with a keggle, and a lot of people like them, but if I had it all to do over I wish I'd started with a plain kettle. That said, if you can get a $30 keg, it's fairly easy to get the top cut off. You can cut the whole top, minus the handles, pretty easy, and it would be perfectly fine for BIAB. I cut a hole in the top of my keg and I am seriously thinking about cutting the whole top off, leaving the handles for carrying. This will lighten the keg up some. They are pretty heavy compared to a kettle.

An STC-1000 runs about $30 or less on Ebay and will run your fridge just fine. Highly recommended. They aren't too hard to wire up right into the fridge either.

Latest posts

Back