Tropical Northeast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvisinho

Reaction score
Morning,

Today Im brewing a 3 gallon biab test batch of a "northeast ipa"
Shooting for that hazy, silky, low bitterness, juicy deliciousness of some top IPA in this region.

However im twisting it up with tropical hops just for the hell of it.

This is where im at right now but i just wanted to see if anyone familiar with brewing this style has any pointers?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 1 42.9 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 42.9 %
4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.50 tbsp Flour (Mash 0.0 mins) Other 4 -
0.25 oz Waimea [17.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 26.5 IBUs
0.25 oz azzaca [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 22.9 IBUs
1.16 oz Waimea [17.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.16 oz azzaca [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.58 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 0.0 mins) Other 9 -
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -
12.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11 10.7 %
1.75 oz Waimea [17.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.75 oz azzaca [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

cheers:mug:

Not familiar with the style, but am curious about what the flour is for.

I was on the fence initially but supposedly it adds to mouthfeel and retention.

I figured why not try a little and see what happens.

Just to update

color is spot on, hazy orange glow.

Pre boil gravity 1.030. (Beersmith est 1.039)

I just ordered/received some azzaca. Planning on doing a small test smash soon. Im very curious about the Waimea. Please post your thoughts about the hops and recipe.

Yeah,Crystal should be kept under 10% and more like 4-5 % so the hops aren't clouded out by the sweetness...
Get rid of the oats (and the flour) if you want body use cara pils,you're not going to get any extra body from the oats or flour than you are already getting from 43% crystal malts,
Vienna for roughly a 3rd of your base malt for a little depth and use less of a higher lovibond crystal for the color or you can use cara munich.
I can guarantee there is no top IPA in any region using that much crystal or any oats and or flour in their beer.

I'd start googling around some of the recipes you are looking for whether its Hill Farmstead, Lawson, Trillium, tree house, etc. Perhaps write your recipe to the brewery and see what they think.

Those two hops are going to be nice together. I'd throw in Mosaic and El dorado along with those two next time. Drop the crystal entirely, and the flour. Oats are fine (I think NEBCO uses oats if I recall)

PS-I'm using nearly twice what you use in my 3.5 gallon batches in terms of hops. Often with a 3 oz flameout addition and a double dry hop of 2 oz each.

If I were you I'd do 85% pale malt, 10% wheat, 5% oats. Done it many times for my "northeast" style ipa. Definitely gets the haze and feel you're looking for.

I'm interested in hearing how this comes out with such a high % of c10. I've used up to 14% flaked oats with good results for that big, creamy body of popular NE style IPAs. I have a batch fermenting currently that I used 12% oats and 4 oz of flour in the mash and 2 TBSP of flour late in the boil to try to maintain the haze as it sits in the keg. First time using flour, so we'll see..

Also, I 2nd way more hops needed. I used a 9 oz steep and 7 oz dry hop in this last 6 gal batch

A agree about getting rid of almost all (or all) of that crystal malt. Getting rid of flower too. Here is a thread where a bunch of us have been discussing similar type beer and have had some good luck. You may find some good ideas in here...... pretty long, but lots of good ideas and lots of OTHER people's trial and error:)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517721

Awesome info per usual on this forum.
I did think my ratio was off and I'll certainly make notations. Now I'm curious to see how it turns out. I still have time to get some more hops and DDH. I think I may brew another batch with a different grain bill to compare in a couple weeks after I scower through these other threads.

These hops smell fantastic by the way. Super fruity and tropical.

Back