Triticale wheat malt experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Got my hands on about 3 lbs of triticale wheat malt, which is a cross between wheat and rye but not at all spicy like rye alone. It is sweet and a half shade darker than 2-row barley.

What do you think of this recipe for 5 gallons? Too sweet? Target is an American blonde style but not cloying.

6 lb 2-row malt
3 lb triticale wheat malt
12 oz honey malt

Hopped to about 24 IBUS:
Cascade .5 oz 60 min
Cascade .25 oz 20 min
Cascade .25 oz 10 min

Mash at 148 - 152F

Yeast: Safale-05

It depends on the dryness of the triticale. If its much like wheat then I would say thats too much honey and you could perhaps use 6oz. If its dry like rye then you might be good to go.

I personally would use more finishing hops and put them all at knock out.

The triticale is more like wheat. I lightened up on the honey malt and pushed more hops to the end.

Will the finishing hops really contribute at flame out? I have always boiled them 5 or more minutes. I am willing to learn.

6 lb 2-row malt
3 lb triticale wheat malt
6 oz honey malt

Hopped to about 24 IBUS:
Cascade .5 oz 20 min (@ 10 IBUs)
Cascade 2 oz 5 min (@ 13 IBUs)

Yes they will make a contribution, you can if you want simply put them in for 1 minute instead. 5mins will also still give you a lot of aroma, so if you comfortable with that stick to it.

The difference is that the 5 min addition will lose more of its aroma and will have more oxidative compounds and more IBU's. Normally if you do lots of flavour additions, say 20 mins, 10mins and 5 mins, you get quite a lot of complexity, because you getting more oxidative compounds form the hops. This leads to more flavours and greater complexity. Good for big Pale ales and IPA's, where you want a big bold hop flavour.

IMO an american wheat should taste pretty clean, putting the late additions in at the end will keep the hop flavour profile simpler and give the illusion of cleaner tasting profile. Ideal for an american wheat.

2oz finishing hops is right at the upper end for an american wheat. Above that your entering white IPA territory. If you want to be cautious you could trim it back to 1-1.5oz.

I'm making an american wheat next week, this will be for competition and I plan on using 2 oz of finishing hops. I might get marked down for that, but its how I like my beers. so deal with it judges!

The other thing you could consider is upping the triticale, normally if it was wheat you would go for 40-60%.

Thank you for the explanation of the staggered vs all-at-once hopping times!

Ah! you are building towards an American wheat. I was building towards a blonde. OK, I did some homework and the BJCP blonde style (6B) is supposed to use up to 25% wheat and low hop aroma. Triticale is weird, not quite wheat, but decreasing that stuff, keeping a background honey flavor, and boiling 5 min to drive off some hop aroma...

I'm gonna go with this for a simple and straightforward presence:

7 lb 2-row (75%)
2 lb triticale malt (21%)
6 oz Honey malt (4%)

.5 oz Cascade 60 min, 17 IBU
1 oz Cascade, 5 min, 6.5 IBU

Safale-05

It's towards the hoppy end of the blonde style to offset the honey sweetness. And we'll see what happens. Thank you again!

I would guess you got it from Valley Malt?

Just used it in a Saison. Hard to tell how it contributed due to the yeast dominating in the flavor department, but I gotta say it's the best Saison I've brewed to date. Used the Yeast Bay Saison Blend. Tasty stuff!!

Yar, the triticale was from Valley Malt.

It is now carbonating in bottles.

Taste notes:
  • A light golden blonde, a pretty color.
  • Very clean with the Safale-05.
  • It does have a hint of honey. Maybe I will try more honey malt but first I will cut down on the hops.
  • Next time I will keep the bitterness on the low side. I think it should be smoother. The extra hops were not needed to offset any sweetness.
  • Hard to say what the triticale did vs regular wheat.

A keeper.

Back