Trillium? Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I've been told numerous times that they centrifuge their beers. So if this isn't yeast what is this? I'll keep the editorializing to a minimum, but this is upsetting...
20191027_174332.jpeg
20191027_174610.jpeg

From craft beer and brewing “Trillium does use a centrifuge, but in a less conventional way—they use it to get the large solid matter out of the cone of each tank during the transfer, and a lot of the batch is bypassed around the centrifuge.”

So good chance it’s just some yeast that made it into the canning line. You could probably reach out to them and they would take care of you.

The following can. Maybe I was premature. I've had these for a couple weeks. Shipped directly from Boston on a truck by a friend who went for work. I didn't think they left this kind of sediment but I understand why.
20191027_181025.jpeg

I've never had a can of any Trillium beer that had those flaked precipitants. I did have a couple of Heady Topper cans that had a crapton of 'em though.

I totally agree it's rather off-putting visually, but those two beers were tasty just the same. The flakes were so fine they passed the tongue without sensation...

Cheers!

Same here. Zero flavor impact. I've heard over and over again that these beers are centrifuged and that the haze is not yeast derived. However if there wasn't so much much hate from my side of the country about lazy brewing maybe they wouldn't push the issue so hard. They were great, I just freaked out a little when I saw that. I literally could have propagated a litre starter from the first can.

I had a Michigan craft NEIPA the other day and was disturbed to see a huge amount of chunky sediment after the pour. Being the beer whore I am, I went ahead and drank it anyway. It was delicious.

The next one I had (different NEIPA) didn't have the chunks, but was still damn tasty. I have concluded that I like some beers even if they look like crap. And I expect a NEIPA to be hazy, cloudy, chunky, or whatever. I wouldn't prefer that in many styles, but that's because many other styles should NOT be hazy if done right. It's not expected due to the ingredients and processes used to created their flavor profiles.

Back