Tried brewing a Saison, fermentation stopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmysh

Reaction score
I tried making a Saison the other day.
Yeast: wy3711
Starter: ~1.5L
Aeration method: paint stirrer on my drill. the wort was practically a froth. then during the transfer from HLT to carboy the wort goes through a screen which further aerates it.

My original gravity was 1.057
Right now it's stuck at 1.023
It's been 8 days.
Vigorous fermentation within 6 hours
Fermentation slowed by day 4-5.

My fermentation temp has been at approximately 71-72. I tried rousing the yeast on Saturday and upping the temp to 75, but it's still at 1.023.

I thought WY3711 was supposed to bring down the FG close to 1.000?

Recipe included:
5lbs 2-row
5lbs german pils
1lb wheat
10oz rye.

added dme to bring gravity up. (1/2 cup?)

Take it up gradually, 1-2 degrees per day, but you can take it up that high without issue.

Just to be sure, are you checking the FG with a hydrometer and not a refractometer? Refractometers are not accurate post fermentation unless you correct the reading with an online calculator or something.

Just to be sure, are you checking the FG with a hydrometer and not a refractometer? Refractometers are not accurate post fermentation unless you correct the reading with an online calculator or something.

That was going to be my question also. I have never heard of 3711 not taking the fg way down into the single digits. My experience with 3711 has always been a very low FG.

As said, bump the temp up and let it ride. 3711 is a beast and should bring it down to real close to 1.010 or lower. Definitely don't bottle or you'll have bombs

I've used this yeast strain up to 100F, so fire away. I've also jumped 10 degrees per day without any ill effects. In my experience you just dont want up and down swings within the earlier fermentation stages. If you constantly bump it up and hold it until fermentation finishes, I havent had to do small steps along the way
But 153 seems pretty nigh for a saison. I do mine at 148 and add a pound of sugar for the lowest FG I can get

Yeah, 153 is a bit too high for a saison, but not enough to make a lot of unfermentable sugars.

And the question on what you used to check the gravity is a good one. I never use a refractometer during or after fermentation, so I didn't even think about that. Are you using a hydrometer?

Back