Tri clover fittings installed on HERM's coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troubleshooter

Reaction score
Ok, I have been searching all these threads for some answers to my question and haven't found the answer yet. I am in the stages of researching how to build my AG setup. I am thinking of going Electric with a HERM coil installed in the HLT. I want all my fitting to be tri clover for easy disassembly and cleaning.

So my question is, has any body used tri clover fittings installed on their HLT on the outside and inside of the pot/kettle with out using a coupler? I want all my fittings welded into the pot, so this means welding tri clover ferrules back to back. This would then accommodate the installation of the HERM coil inside the HLT.

If someone has done this what size Ferrules did you use on the inside and outside of the pot?

My stout tanks are setup exactly like that. I have 1 inch Triclamp ferrules for this job.

That is exactly what I would like to do. I am wondering if some has done this on there own or had the local fab shop do this in their pots? I already have my keggles for my project and would like to do the same thing.

I was also thinking over the night, is it really worth putting tri clover fittings inside the keggle. Could I just have the coil welded into the keggle, then weld a tri clover fitting on the outside right to the SS tubing? This way you would eliminate 2 sets of tri clover fittings. The HLT is only going to have water in it so you should never have to scrub inside the keggle. With doing it this way everything would be sanitary and be able to clean in place.

There's a how-to silver solder fittings on this site. You could solder the fittings yourself.

My stout kettle is set up the same way. Price out the cost of the fittings, the HERMS coil, any added tools you may need and your time (or the cost of a welder if you go that route). You may be better off buying a stout kettle.

My stout tanks are setup exactly like that. I have 1 inch Triclamp ferrules for this job.

Do you have to disconnect every time in order to drain the coil? For the Stout HLT with HERMS looks like both outlets are higher than the bottom of the coil.

Have seen DIY ppl post that for HERMS they put one outlet at the very bottom for easy draining.

Do you have to disconnect every time in order to drain the coil? For the Stout HLT with HERMS looks like both outlets are higher than the bottom of the coil.

Have seen DIY ppl post that for HERMS they put one outlet at the very bottom for easy draining.

They are both at the top. Not a problem to pull it out. I use the HLT to circulate starsan through my plate hex before I chill, I chill inline to the fermenter, and then at the end of the night to clean the hex with 135º PBW for 45 minutes. So the coil is out for those tasks.

That is exactly what I would like to do. I am wondering if some has done this on there own or had the local fab shop do this in their pots? I already have my keggles for my project and would like to do the same thing.

I was also thinking over the night, is it really worth putting tri clover fittings inside the keggle. Could I just have the coil welded into the keggle, then weld a tri clover fitting on the outside right to the SS tubing? This way you would eliminate 2 sets of tri clover fittings. The HLT is only going to have water in it so you should never have to scrub inside the keggle. With doing it this way everything would be sanitary and be able to clean in place.

I'm also interested in doing something like this. What did you end up doing?

I'm also interested in doing something like this. What did you end up doing?

Why are you looking at TC fittings in a HLT? Do you know how much of a PITA it will be to try to install the clamps at the bottom of your tank? One hand holding a giant spring, one trying to align the fitting and one to tighten the clamp. Seems difficult unless you have 3 hands :mug:

Like Sandyeggoxj I have the Stout Kettles as well, but I never disconnect my coil. I disconnected it the first time to clean it. I CIP almost everything with PBW and Starsan, then cap it off until my next brew. I used to have a setup that used weldless fittings and cam locks but I prefer the TC fittings.

Back