Tri-Clover and pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boat_eggs

Reaction score
I want to convert to Tri-Clovers for my hoses/connections as I am sick of changing out barbs and use Tri-Clovers at work and understand the benefits of not using threads/quick disconnects. All is good in my change except for my Chugger pumps and how I have a ball valve on the output of each.

Rather than getting 1/2"NPT to Tri-Clover adapters, has anyone here gotten 3-piece ball valves, one threaded and the other Clover, and mixed-n-matched the ends to have a Clover output from the pumps? I have read woes of wishing for homebrew Clover pumps but nothing exists unless you want to shell out a pretty penny.

I was thinking of these:
https://www.brewershardware.com/1-2-Full-Port-Ball-Valve-TFBV1213P.html
https://www.brewershardware.com/1-Tri-Clover-3-Piece-Ball-Valve-TC10VBALL3P12ID.html

If it doesn't work I'll save my time and money but just wondering if someone has done this before.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Provided the body of the two valves are identical. Otherwise mating and sealing the two frankenvalves could be an issue. Other than that I think you'd be fine.

I would love to know the answer to this. If you buy one of each, you should be able to outfit two pumps with ball valves.

I am hoping that this works as well. I have both and have been too busy to try this out, but hoping in the next few days I will be able to test this out. One thing I did notice is that bolts holding the three piece tri clover unit together are longer, so I will have to source some longer bolts in order to have two NPT/tri clover ball valves

I am hoping that this works as well. I have both and have been too busy to try this out, but hoping in the next few days I will be able to test this out. One thing I did notice is that bolts holding the three piece tri clover unit together are longer, so I will have to source some longer bolts in order to have two NPT/tri clover ball valves

Think you will give it a shot in the next few days or should I try? I don't mind ordering them and giving it the old college try as bolts are easy to source.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm gonna be a guinea pig! I'll report back with my findings

I got the valves in today and Im gonna say it will work. see the pictures below and judge for your selves. The center valve portion looked identical between the two valves.

Just make sure to do full-port versions of both like I did if the links go down. Also, I should have kept quite on this and made a killing on ebay but with as much as I have learned here this is what little I can give back now. Cheers!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Back