Treehouse Brewing Julius Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had New England's Fuzzy Baby Ducks the other day and it tasted exactly like Julius the first time I ever had Julius. It's been a couple of years so yes it is hard to compare a beer I just drank to a beer that I had two years ago. And yes the recipe has possible changed over the last couple of years for Julius. But Fuzzy was sooo good.

Fuzzy was straight up orange flavor with a nice sweet finish to help play up a juicy flavor. I know Fuzzy is all Citra. It might not be the right thread to post in but if someone had a clone or idea of a clone it might be a good place to start.

Had Julius a couple of weeks ago. It was good but didn't blow me away. I don't think I'm a fan of Conan though and suspect that's what they are using.

I know what Nate has said in the past-been following this thread for a bit. But I'm not sure I believe a lot of that.

Okay, but for those trying to clone Julius or gain insights on Tree House's process, Nate's statements sort of take precedence over [insert NEIPA conventional wisdom here].

I mean that's sort of what's interesting about Tree House — the definition of NEIPA — but not doing what everybody assumes NEIPA is.

(I mean just look at the Tree House yeast thread — not using 1318 or Conan — super interesting.)

Ok sorry thanks for quickly correcting. It's reminiscent to Conan then because of the esters and bubblegum. The flavor I get from the yeast, I suspect, in Julius is similar to other commercial brews that I know use Conan.

yea, np. I hope it didn't come across as anything other than providing some info. I'll be sure to report my results from anything gleaned off of that thread. I'm going to try a 50/50 S-04/T-58 brew next

Okay, but for those trying to clone Julius or gain insights on Tree House's process, Nate's statements sort of take precedence over [insert NEIPA conventional wisdom here].

I mean that's sort of what's interesting about Tree House — the definition of NEIPA — but not doing what everybody assumes NEIPA is.

(I mean just look at the Tree House yeast thread — not using 1318 or Conan — super interesting.)

They definitely should take precedence, yet I still have a healthy skepticism about them. Julius is a 100 IBU+ beer...no way.

I replicated the recipe by LL except for hops. I used Citra and Mosaic lupulin powder along with galaxy pellets. The smell coming out of the fermentor is insane. Can't wait to try this out

They definitely should take precedence, yet I still have a healthy skepticism about them. Julius is a 100 IBU+ beer...no way.

Seems well within the realm of possibility to me. I'm not sure it can be done with pellets on the homebrew level, which is why I'm so keen to try the extract:

"Early on, Tree House Brewing began experimenting with Resinate® CO2 Hop Extract in some of their hoppy beers. Co-founder Nate Lanier explains, “We have been using extract since 2013 when we found it could produce a smoother and more palatable bitterness. We like bitterness in our beers, and have found that extract produces a more consistent, predictable bitterness versus pellets which can degrade in unknown ways with age. We also aren’t afraid to use them later in the boil to give a bit of flavor in addition to that soft bitterness we crave.”

https://ychhops.com/connect/news/blog/brewery-perspectives

Paste: When trying your hoppy offerings, most people mention the mouthfeel is like biting into a piece of fruit. What drew you to focusing on creating such a “fruit” forward mouth-feel in your beers?

NL: The main driver there is ease and enjoyment of consumption. When I brew a beer, drink it, and make notes on how to improve it, often the body and mouthfeel are the key focus points. I think where I get it wrong, sometimes, is with bitterness. If it’s too low it becomes difficult to drink too much of it. I don’t like a beer without bitterness, so when that component is lacking I am pretty hard on myself.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...-brewing-talks-malt-the-black-market-and.html

This doesn't sound like the mentality of low IBU brewer to me. Getting 100+ IBUs (and by extension all that hop flavor) in there and keeping it "soft" is definitely something I want in my beers.

FWIW, brought home a bunch of Trillium this weekend and most of them feel at least 100 IBUs. Noticed on their Twitter them telling a homebrewer to bitter with columbus at 45 IBUS, add the rest late/flameout. 45 IBUs for bittering hints at a pretty big number in Beersmith (i.e. theoretical).

Yeah, I get what you mean. That's the guy's bread and butter. Once somebody cracks the code, he's just another face in the game. This starts getting into the blurry lines of the IBU vs. Perceived IBU debate.

As long as its good beer that is up to my standards and my drinkers are satisfied, I'm content. :mug:

Anyone got the perfect beersmith bsmx file of this for a 5 gallon brew.
I know I`ll need to edit it, just be easier if someone has
Thx

Reduced the wheat from 3 to 2# and backed down some of the specialties by about 1/4 or so. Lightened up the body and color just a bit. Came in around 6.25% at 1.013 FG

IMG_9077.jpg

Reduced the wheat from 3 to 2# and backed down some of the specialties by about 1/4 or so. Lightened up the body and color just a bit. Came in around 6.25% at 1.013 FG

That's gorgeous.
I did similar after my first batch or two (reduced flaked, eliminated all cara malts). Now it's just 2-row, Vienna, a pound each of flaked oats and wheat, plus a pound of honey and 4 oz honey malt, and Boom! Great beer.

Personally everything is five minutes or less. If you want a quick suggestion:

1.5 oz citra
1 oz mosaic --------- Flame Out
.5 oz Amarillo

1.5 oz citra
1 oz mosaic ---------- 20 minute whirlpool @ 150-170*F
.5 oz Amarillo

1 oz citra
1 oz mosaic --------- DH addition at tail end of ferm

3 oz citra
2 oz mosaic -------- DH addition for 3-4 days when ferm is complete
1 oz Amarillo

Just to confirm, you're adding no bittering additions but everything at flame-out or later? I'm plugging this into BeerSmith and getting about 5 IBUs. I know Beersmith isn't the best for flameout/wp hops but that still seems very low. If I cut the flame and let the hops whirlpool at that temp without chilling, I assume I'll get more IBU's. Then I can cold crash to 150-170ºF to start the first whirlpool addition.

Just to confirm, you're adding no bittering additions but everything at flame-out or later? I'm plugging this into BeerSmith and getting about 5 IBUs. I know Beersmith isn't the best for flameout/wp hops but that still seems very low. If I cut the flame and let the hops whirlpool at that temp without chilling, I assume I'll get more IBU's. Then I can cold crash to 150-170ºF to start the first whirlpool addition.

Either you have an old version of BeerSmith or you are entering something wrong. The last BeerSmith recipe I made had 2oz of hops at Flameout, then whirlpool for 10 minutes, and that gave 17 IBU so you should be well over 5 IBU with that hop schedule.

Either you have an old version of BeerSmith or you are entering something wrong. The last BeerSmith recipe I made had 2oz of hops at Flameout, then whirlpool for 10 minutes, and that gave 17 IBU so you should be well over 5 IBU with that hop schedule.

Yea it corrected it to about 37 IBU. Seems more appropriate possibly a bit low for a beer with an OG in the mid 1.060s

If anyone wants to send me a couple cans of any TH beer, I send them off to a lab to get specifics such as OG/FG, ADF, RDF, SRM, IBU and the Chloride/sulfate/calcium amounts.

PM me if interested

Cant wait until TH's new facility gets up and running. Just not worth the hour and a half drive on days like last Wednesday when they have a two can limit

How's it chugging along?

This is by far the best IPA I have ever brewed. I really like the lupulin powder for the mosaic and citra...so good!

I dry hopped with the powder as well but since I was concerned for the debris to not settle I used panty hose as a filter to let the flavor soak in but did not add any additional material in the beer. Thanks for the recipe base it worked fantastic.

This is by far the best IPA I have ever brewed. I really like the lupulin powder for the mosaic and citra...so good!

I dry hopped with the powder as well but since I was concerned for the debris to not settle I used panty hose as a filter to let the flavor soak in but did not add any additional material in the beer. Thanks for the recipe base it worked fantastic.

I love it when my pantyhose smells like beer...

Hey, do you think you could tell a difference using the lupulin powder vs. pellets?

Hey LL, with those flame-out additions, how long are you letting them sit before you drop the temp for your whirlpool hop additions?

here's a good post

http://scottjanish.com/lupulin-powder-vs-pellets-experiment/

I've had a few, and while there wasn't a side by side comparison, I could definitely pick out some differences in the general profile of the flavors. Overall, I'd say it's more intense, as you could expect. For some reason, I get more melon from Mosaic pellet beers than the powder.

here's a good post

http://scottjanish.com/lupulin-powder-vs-pellets-experiment/

I've had a few, and while there wasn't a side by side comparison, I could definitely pick out some differences in the general profile of the flavors. Overall, I'd say it's more intense, as you could expect. For some reason, I get more melon from Mosaic pellet beers than the powder.

i'm going to try some for sure once i use up some of my pellet hop stores!

Anybody know how long you leave the temp at after adding the flame-out hops before dropping the temp to whirlpool levels (150-170ºF) for the next hop addition?

Anybody know how long you leave the temp at after adding the flame-out hops before dropping the temp to whirlpool levels (150-170ºF) for the next hop addition?

Sorry about that... just read this now. I just toss them in, cut the flame, turn on the plate chiller to start chilling the already running whirlpool and when my kettle temp gets down to WP temps cut the chiller off and toss in the WP hops for 20 min or so. If you wanted to ensure a bit more contact time you could always do a 1 min addition before you cut the flame

Sorry about that... just read this now. I just toss them in, cut the flame, turn on the plate chiller to start chilling the already running whirlpool and when my kettle temp gets down to WP temps cut the chiller off and toss in the WP hops for 20 min or so. If you wanted to ensure a bit more contact time you could always do a 1 min addition before you cut the flame

Sounds good! Are you running the wort out of your boil kettle, through a chiller, and then back through the whirlpool arm?

I just clamp the hose at the top of the kettle and let it circulate tangentially... but yeah kettle to pump to chiller and back up top

I really think that the time to flavor extraction from hops is much shorter than many give credit as long as there's some form of agitation. my hops slurry tastes like basically nothing after adding at 150 and cooling until pitching temp with occasional stirring. it's not like it's a 2 inch piece of wood or anything. they're ground up flowers

I really think that the time to flavor extraction from hops is much shorter than many give credit as long as there's some form of agitation. my hops slurry tastes like basically nothing after adding at 150 and cooling until pitching temp with occasional stirring. it's not like it's a 2 inch piece of wood or anything. they're ground up flowers

reminds me of the XBMT on extraction time. i'd like to try the short vs long extraction time for myself one day. maybe a compromise short term is to do a long and short dryhop in the primary

I love it when my pantyhose smells like beer...

Hey, do you think you could tell a difference using the lupulin powder vs. pellets?

yes I would say my whirpool with powder resulted in a much better flavor IMO than anything I have done the past two years and I basically brew NEIPS beers all the time. It resembled a trillium/treehouse/other half style of flavor that came through more so than pellets. I went and bought a ton of powder once I had my taste test in the fermentor and cant wait to do an all citra. I also have simoce and Eukanot to play with.

yes I would say my whirpool with powder resulted in a much better flavor IMO than anything I have done the past two years and I basically brew NEIPS beers all the time. It resembled a trillium/treehouse/other half style of flavor that came through more so than pellets. I went and bought a ton of powder once I had my taste test in the fermentor and cant wait to do an all citra. I also have simoce and Eukanot to play with.

While we're on the topic... are pellets and powder pretty much interchangeable oz for oz?

While we're on the topic... are pellets and powder pretty much interchangeable oz for oz?

I have no experience with them, but everything I have read indicates that you can use 1/2 or maybe slightly less of the powder compared with pellets. Makes sense, as they are basically concentrated for the hop resins that contribute to flavor/aroma/bitterness.

Interesting, I've read the full benefit of lupulin powder is coming from late fermentation additions/keg additions. I'll have to try whirlpool at some point...

Interesting, I've read the full benefit of lupulin powder is coming from late fermentation additions/keg additions. I'll have to try whirlpool at some point...

Kimmich from the Alchemist has talked on some of his youtube videos about how much he loves the lupulin powder in the whirlpool. maybe there is something to it; their beers are super strong in hop flavor.

Where have you read about the lupulin for keg additions?

Latest posts

Back