Traveling Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin02

Reaction score
I will be brewing at a friend's place on Saturday. He lives about 1.5 hours away. Should I:

bring the wort home and pitch then yeast? I have a carboy cap to seal it up for the ride back.

or

pitch the yeast there? Would it be ok with a couple couple hours of splashing around?

bring it home.

On a legal note, it's not alcohol in an open container till you pitch the yeast.

only time i traveled with wert, was pitched when i get home after it equilized to my fermentation temp. I also drove on a 100degree texas day...

+1 to pitch at home

Cool, I will just bring it home.

So I should probably put the carboy in the passenger seat, closer to the cool air conditioner and put the SWMBO in the back?

SWMBO in the back so she knows her place in the pecking order?

Seriously though, I cool wort in the bath which takes 45 odd mins, my father in law used to do it overnight in the 1970s-1980s with locally sourced Perthshire malt so this sort of lag before pitching temps is fine so long as you are somewhere temperate.

So I should probably put the carboy in the passenger seat, closer to the cool air conditioner and put the SWMBO in the back?

I put my alepail on the floor behind the passanger seat. If you are going to be traveling, an Ale Pail may be a better choice than a glass carboy.

I'd use an ale pail since it's more stable and unbreakable, probably going to be doing something similar myself this Sunday.

Latest posts

Back