Traveling to Columbus Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamAshBrewing

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a good craft beer store in the Columbus Ohio area, as well as some good beer recommendations (something brewed in OH, or anything I cant get in Minnesota).

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I can't offer any advice on a craft beer shop, but we recently did a brew tour of Columbus, Wolfe ridge brewing and North High were both excellent, with Wolfe Ridge being the unanimous favorite of all in attendance.

I've been traveling to Columbus to work for a couple months now. Definitely not a local and haven't been everywhere yet, but here are my initial thoughts:

Check this out for local breweries: http://www.cbusaletrail.com/

Really like Wolf's Ridge, both for beer and food. Hoof Hearted is good if you can find some on shelves. Also Jackie O's (not Columbus, but OH local).

Bottle shops: Haven't been to many, but Corner Stone Craft Beer and Wine has a good selection.

North High is great. They sell some of their beers in cans. Lineage is also great buy may only have growlers.

North High Brewing, Zauber Brewery, and Seventh Son are all good breweries. I'm also a fan of Four String because their casks on friday and saturday are pretty good. As far as Ohio beer, Rhinegeist from Cincinnati makes great beers. Fat Head's Brewery and Mad Tree also have good beers. You can find them at a lot of places beer is sold. Crafted Drafts in New Albany and Weiland's Market have great beer selections to choose from if you want to take some home.

Are you looking for breweries or stores that sell a good selection of craft beer? Also what part of Columbus will you be staying in? I live in Columbus and can help narrow your search unless you want to drive all over town :cross:

For places that have a good selection of beers on tap check out The Daily Growler, The Pint Room, Ohio Tap Room, North High Brewing Co, Winking Lizard

For bottled beer, I'd suggest in the Upper Arlington area (just west of OSU campus, North of downtown) Gentiles, Krogers on Chambers Rd, Giant Eagle Market District, Kenny Rd Market to name a few. There also a Bottle and Barrel in the North Market downtown that's pretty good. Honestly it's hard not to find some good Ohio beers in many of the stores.

(also a local).

I'd second visiting at least Seventh Son (pretty much anything), Columbus Brewing Company (particularly their hoppier stuff like bodhi, creeper, even the regular IPA) and one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Actual Brewing (http://www.actualbrewing.com/) which is small but turning out some really good stuff.

If you're up for a little drive then Rockmill (http://www.rockmillbrewery.com/) is outstanding, particularly their saison (imo) and in a beautiful spot so it should be really nice this time of year and not super far away if you have a car.

If you're up for a little FURTHER drive then Jacki O's in Athens is also worth the trip.

For package stores there are plenty of options, just depends what part of town you're in.

Hope that helps!

Columbus Brewing's Bodhi IPA is great if you can find it.

Jackie O's is in Athens, OH but distributes up and down the state. They have a great range of selection and some interesting recipes.

Are you looking for breweries or stores that sell a good selection of craft beer? Also what part of Columbus will you be staying in? I live in Columbus and can help narrow your search unless you want to drive all over town :cross:

For places that have a good selection of beers on tap check out The Daily Growler, The Pint Room, Ohio Tap Room, North High Brewing Co, Winking Lizard

For bottled beer, I'd suggest in the Upper Arlington area (just west of OSU campus, North of downtown) Gentiles, Krogers on Chambers Rd, Giant Eagle Market District, Kenny Rd Market to name a few. There also a Bottle and Barrel in the North Market downtown that's pretty good. Honestly it's hard not to find some good Ohio beers in many of the stores.

Thanks, I will be staying in downtown Columbus near Nationwide Childrens Hospital. I have a car, so I can drive for a good beer selection. While I love a good tap room or brew pub, I am traveling with 2 small kids and SWDLB (She who doesn't like beer). I am looking for beer that I can take back with me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back