Trappist Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinAndCoffee

Reaction score
I was thinking up some crazy thoughts the other day. There was a thread floating around that was basically a clone of miller light. What do you suspect the taste profile would be like if you substituted white labs trappist yeast for the normal lager yeast?

Tough to say. The yeast might be too overpowering for such a light grain bill and hop schedule. It would be worth a try I think (even if you brewed the lager and only fermented 1gallon with the Trappist yeast). I say go for it, but I love to experiment by subbing in Belgian yeasts in for different styles.

You would have a completely different beer. The grain bills for a light lager and say a tripel are surprisingly similar (aside from the amount of malt and sugar additons). Some traditional Belgian recipes even call for adjunct grains like grits. I'm almost positive there are not Belgian lager yeasts anyways. Without seeing your grain bill, I suspect you would have something close to a Belgian Pale Ale.

Back