Transporting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanWoirol

Reaction score
Ok, So I'm rather new to this thing we call homebrewing. I've got 4 under my belt and a 5th fermenting as we speak. Everything has been small batches, and I want to get bigger. The problem I'm coming up with is that I live in a smaller apartment with an electric stove. I also can't use a turkey fryer at home because I live on a city block with parallel parking spots and what-nots.

My dad lives in town, about a 20 minute drive and he has a garage and everything. Is there anyway safe way to brew the batch at my dad's house, rack it, and then drive it to my apartment where I can ferment it? Would it be more beneficial to pitch the yeast there or here? Every bit helps. I don't want to be confined to 1 gallon batches at home, I'd like to go 5 gallon.

Thank you.

I would say it is safer to drive around with 5 gallons of unfermented beer than it is to drive around with 5 gallons of gasoline.

Put it on the floor between the front seat and the dashboard. It will be fine.

Of course you want it cool and you want to be careful with it as 5 gallons is pretty heavy regardless of the container it's in. Do what you would normally do with a normal amount of care and drive it home.

I don't think a 20 minute drive would hurt anything, it would probably help aerate your wort :D.

I've only brewed one batch but if it were me I would brew it at your dad's place, cool it some, rack it (make sure whatever you put it in is watertight, i.e. plug up your carboy bung if it is drilled), take it back to your place, and then pitch the yeast once it is at the right temperature.

On a side note, I don't know what kind of brewing you are doing but you should be able to get away with doing a 5 gal batch of extract with an electric stove because its not completely necessary to boil all 5 gallons.

For this purpose, I would recommend a better bottle. No shattering risk, no risk of a lid popping off. Other than that, no harm no foul.

Use a bucket fermenter. It has a handle, a secure lid, and a nice flat bottom. Not to mention bucket fermenters are super easy to clean, and they are cheap! No need to "rack" anything. I brew at different locations (friends houses) all the time, and transport my fermenter buckets in the back seat. It's fun to get together with a bunch of guys and brew all at one at someone elses place. So you bet it can be done.

Gary

Awesome, thanks for the replies. On my next batch, I'll try this method out and see how it goes.

I live in a town home, and have the same issue. Since only me and my wife drink it I do 3 gallon batches. Not sure if you'd be interested in that but 3 is better than one and I can do a full boil on my electric stove for a 3 gallon batch. I'm still just on extract. 3 can be a weird number so you can also just cut 5 gallon kits/recipes in half which is super easy. Plus 3 gallon carboys are like cheaper and its plenty of beer for us. You may not be interested but just my .02

Back