Transporting wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty22

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of wort fermenting that I will need to transport with me from West Virginia to Michigan this week. Today marks 1 week since brew day so it's nowhere near ready to be bottled for easier carrying. Right now it's in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy.

My plan is to rack it into a 5 gallon plastic bucket to carry it that way. Will the wort be ok on a long car ride like this? I know it isn't ideal, but I don't think I'll be back here in time for bottling day in a few weeks. Should I just leave it here and have it in a secondary fermenter for a few extra weeks or should I carry it with me and take my bottling equipment along as well to bottle it?

I would leave it. Make sure your airlock is full, or use a tube in a container of water so it doesn't go dry while you're gone. A couple extra months in the fermentor is not going to do any harm, and you will probably find it helps.

Maybe some have, but I would never travel with fermenting wort for fear of oxidation of splashing around.

I would just leave in the primary fermenter and bottle when you get a chance, trusting the temperatures aren't going to be crazy while you're gone. I've left beer in primary for over a month with no problems.

If you're dead set on secondary, then I'd do the same thing. Rack it, leave it.

How long will you be gone? I'd also leave it. It's more trouble than it's worth trying to transport it with you and all.

Back