Transporting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been brewing for a while and my best friend is just getting into it. He had a couple 1-gallon kits (over a year old) that we threw together about 2 weeks ago. The kits say fermentation is done after 2 weeks and it’s time to bottle (his anticipation is killing him). While observing it appeared as though fermentation ended (no more bubbles) after about 2-3 days and hasn’t really picked up.

I think we are ready to bottle. But a few questions.

1) Is it possible keeping the kits for a year in a non-refrigerated area effected the yeast? I am almost positive it did.....

2) Is it safe to transport the 1 gallon carboys via car to his house?

Thanks
Ludes Brews

If it fermented or is fermenting, the yeast isn't dead. What temperature did you leave the carboys at? Too high a temp and fermentation may be over quickly. Remember, airlocks are not a reliable indicator of fermentation. Get a hydrometer and check your gravity. After only a few days though, the yeast is probably still in the clean-up phase and your gravity still dropping.

I would avoid transporting the carboys. Oxygen is your friend pre-frementation, but not afterwards. It'd be better to bottle and then transport the bottles once they're carbonated.

After the fact, taking a gravity reading right before pitching the yeast and then, in this case, two weeks later, would tell all that is needed (is the yeast viable and is fermentation complete?).
Lot's of opinions on this but you can/should leave the beer for two or three weeks in the fermenting vessel.
The kit recipe should have or usually does state what the final gravity is supposed to be. As above, check that. If you do hit that number, the yeast was good and you're probably okay to package.

Transporting? I guess you could. Not an optimum situation. Air is an issue but like I'm fond of retelling, I oxygenated a batch to a ridiculous degree one time and it was still fine. You have gallon batches so they're not going to last long anyway. As said above, about bottling, is the best idea.

Latest posts

Back