Transporting a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
Sorry to post this here, but I wasn't sure where to put it, and this is brewing related!

I'm wanting to pick up a chest freezer from CL to use as a fermentation chamber, but transporting it to my house has made me hesitate. I have a Toyota Tacoma with a Snugtop shell on the bak, which makes my vertical clearance about 35". Sadly, most chest freezers are 36" tall.

If I put the freezer on its side, it's only 32" and will slide right into my truck. I've heard that you shouldn't move fridges/freezers in any postion but vertical. Does anybody know if I'll damage the freezer if I transport it on it's side for an hour?

When you get it home, set it upright for a while before plugging it in. A few hours will probably be enough, but I always let them sit overnight first.

You want to give the oil in the compressor time to settle.

You can put it on it's side for transportation, however, the general rule of thumb is to let them sit for 24 hours before running them.

Back