Transferring to bottling bucket question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch a couple of weeks ago and I have a question that may help me in the future. I kept my fermenter in an upstairs closet that was temp stable and dark. I was very careful carrying my bucket to my bottling spot, but as you can imagine, even a little movement kicked in some krasuen residue and trub into the mix. What's the normal method to avoid this? Ferment in a place where I can siphon w/o moving it, or move the bucket and then let it sit for x hours?

I always moved mine and then let it set for about 15 minutes. But really it's not a big deal. The trub will settle to the bottom of the bottle. RDWHAHB.

I've given my bottling bucket as long as it takes me to get the first round of bottles & caps ready, 10 minutes, up to 2 hours. One made for even distribution of trub, the other made for 40 really clean bottles, and 15 nasty ones. It's a trade off.

Same as 1977 brewer. When I bottle I move my fermenter first then clean sanitize bottles or have a cup of coffee. within 30 min. its settled and ready to transfer to my bottling bucket.

Moving your fermentor the day before racking to the bottling bucket would be the simpler solution.
I tilt my fermentor a few days before racking to help avoid siphoning excess yeast. When I pull the racking cane, there is still two inches of beer, but this only amounts to 8 to 12 ounces. I leave that amount of beer in the fermentor for harvesting the yeast.

Longer primary time will also result in a more compact trub/yeast layer that is less susceptible to suspension with some movement. My typical primary time is 21 days.

Moving your fermentor the day before racking to the bottling bucket would be the simpler solution.

I tilt my fermentor a few days before racking to help avoid siphoning excess yeast. When I pull the racking cane, there is still two inches of beer, but this only amounts to 8 to 12 ounces. I leave that amount of beer in the fermentor for harvesting the yeast.

I assumed everyone was doing this. Just makes sense.

With my next batch, I'm fermenting in the basement because that closet was a touch warm. It's tucked away in a dark corner with cardboard leaning over it to darken even more. How dark does the primary need to be. Is "pretty dark" good enough? Or should I throw a blanket over it to really darken it down?

With my next batch, I'm fermenting in the basement because that closet was a touch warm. It's tucked away in a dark corner with cardboard leaning over it to darken even more. How dark does the primary need to be. Is "pretty dark" good enough? Or should I throw a blanket over it to really darken it down?

Dark is the best. UV rays can be reflected from wall materials. I use large ugly towels to cover the fermentors. Ugly is usually cheap. The towels are also useful for wicking water when a swamp cooler is necessary for controlling fermentation temperature.

My ferm chamber is totally devoid of light. Like some of the others, I move my fermenter the night before. Then I have an old black hoodie that I cover it with when I bring it up from the basement.

I move my fermenter, gather and sanitize my equipment and proceed. If you don't slosh everything 15 minutes or so is plenty of time.

Latest posts

Back