Transferring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiBeer

Reaction score
I use a 6 gal pot on the stove for boiling and have a igloo cooler mash tun that I will be placing on a chair near the stove. I can run the wort from the mash tun to a bucket and pour it back in the boiling pot after it mashes. What is the best way of transferring from boiling pot ( HLT) to mash tun without an outlet on the side. Is it just pouring it in using a pitcher over a piece of foil for vorlauf and sparge? Too hot to siphon I think.????:confused:

I use a big 2 liter pyrex cup I got at walmart for that purpose but yeah a pitcher would work good. And you shouldn't need the piece of foil, I usually just carefully pour back the vorlauf back into the mash alongside the wall towards the back of the cooler.

I just use a piece of 3/8 copper tubing that I bent into the shape of a racking cane and I use it to siphon the hot wort.

If you use plastic tubing, just be sure that you get the high-temp kind. I use the silicon hose for everything and it stands temperature nearly double that of boiling......

I got my high temp tubing from Home Depot. It's thick, clear, and has some sort of braided looking reinforcement running through it.

Use the silicone high temp tubing, fill it with hot water from the sink, hold thumb over one end to keep it from running out other end. Stick other end in the boil kettle and let the water in the hose do the siphoning. Please wear gloves and be careful. I know most folks figure this out on their own, but you would be surprised how often someone has tried to suck on the hose to start a siphon. Be safe! Have fun!

Back