Transferring kegged beer to a growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Once my kegged beer carbonates correctly, will I be able to transfer the beer to a growler without any pressure issues (explosions, etc.)?

You should be fine. I fill growlers off my tap using the bottling wand on my perlick taps. Works great with little foam.

i have no problem filling my growlers, if you get foaming issues, try using a tube connected to the tap that reached the bottom of the growler, like they do in brew pubs. i'm sure the same would apply for bottles. there's also the Blinchmann bottle filler for filling bottles from a keg, seems like a pretty neat device. i plan on getting one in the near future.

thats my question, if other guys have had no problem with just filling bottles from their keg tap and then capping the bottles......whats the point of that $100 item?

It seems like everytime I fill a growler it de-carbonates rather quickly, is there a way to keep the carbenation so that it lasts a few days or is it really just for short transports and meant to be consumed in short order?

Just like bringin' beer home from a brew pub or craft brewery in a growler. You need to consume it in less than a week becasue it will go flat rather quickly.

The local brew pub here just has a short hose they attach to the tap, and fill growlers from the bottom.

Gary

thats my question, if other guys have had no problem with just filling bottles from their keg tap and then capping the bottles......whats the point of that $100 item?
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your original question. I thought you were asking about whether or not you'll get an explosion from filling from the tap.

I used to use BierMuncher's "we-don't-need-no-stinkin-beer-gun" method (search for it in the forums, it may be a sticky. Then one day I got lazy and just stuck a piece of vinyl tubing in the faucet and my regular bottling wand and I've never had any problems with foaming or losing carbonation. The key tho is chilling the bottle/growler before filling. The longest my filled beer has lasted is 2 weeks before it got drank so I don't how much longer beyond that.

I've used this method with great success, it's more or less what people have been saying, except with a few key tips.

http://mainbrew.com/pages/infopages.html/kegbottling.html

Excellent link, exactly what I was looking for...one question:

" Lower your regulator pressure from the 10 to 12 psi that you normally dispense with, down to 2 to 5 psi. Exhaust the pressure from the top of your Corny keg and allow the lower pressure to fill it up. "

When they say "exhaust the pressure from the top of your Corny keg", does that mean pull the release valve? And if so, how much do I want to pull it?

I used to use BierMuncher's "we-don't-need-no-stinkin-beer-gun" method (search for it in the forums, it may be a sticky. Then one day I got lazy and just stuck a piece of vinyl tubing in the faucet and my regular bottling wand and I've never had any problems with foaming or losing carbonation. The key tho is chilling the bottle/growler before filling. The longest my filled beer has lasted is 2 weeks before it got drank so I don't how much longer beyond that.

Also, great link to follow. Thanks, I guess my only question is what are they talking about by exhausting the pressure before you bottle?

Bottling off the tap works great for a couple of bottles that will be drunk soon. For bottling more, or competition, I like the beer gun.

When they say "exhaust the pressure from the top of your Corny keg", does that mean pull the release valve? And if so, how much do I want to pull it?

Yes.

You'll need to release most of the pressure since you are aiming for 2-5 psi to dispense with. Just get the pressure inside the keg lower than your targeted dispensing pressure. Otherwise, you'll be dispensing with the higher pressure from inside the keg (initially at least, until the pressure equalizes to whatever the regulator is set at).

Also, chilling the bottle/growler and tubes in the freezer first helps if you have the time. Bringing the temp down well mean less CO2 coming out of solution. That combined with a stopper and wand is all I ever use to fill bottles/growlers and I never have a problem.

After much trial and error I used BierMuncher's method with great results. No expensive equipment needed either. As far as lowering the pressure in your keg, you just want to pull up on your relief valve and adjust your regulator. You only need to pull on your relief valve very shortly, until you no longer here the loud rush of co2 coming out for the pressure to be relieved. I usually hold it up while simultaneously adjusting my regulator.

Latest posts

Back