transferring from boiler to fermenter through cooling coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonearch

Reaction score
when I transfer beer to fermenter from grainfather, I circulate throught cooling coil. The rate of transfer always become very slow -presumably do to collection of sediment on intake filter at bottom of grainfather. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

If the problem comes from build up on the pump filter you can do two things: 1) Gently scrape the filter housing using your paddle to knock off the sediment. But make sure not to knock off the end cap.
2) Use a false bottom in addition to the filter housing. I believe the early Brewzilla false bottom is the one that fits but you can check online. It should sit just below the malt pipe and above the pump filter and it blocks a lot of the sediment from reaching the filter.

Ya know...
If there's stuff "building up" it could also be building up inside the cooling coil and that stuff could eventually contaminate everything that runs through it.
Plus the inside of a coil is 100% uninspectable for basic cleanliness never mind sanitation.
So much bad juju...

you don't say what model grainfather you have, but I have a G40. On the external tube at the bottom side I took off the nut and screwed in a garden hose attachment to make draining and cleaning easier, but one time the transfer got stuck, so I hooked up a garden hose to that and turned on the water for just a moment to shoot in some water through the pump in reverse and it freed up whatever was clogging the pump

Latest posts

Back