Transferring from 1-gallon Carboy to 2L bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samall415

Reaction score
I've started brewing 1-gallon batches because I enjoy brewing various styles and doing recipe tweaking. I currently transfer my beer from my 1-gallon fermenter (I use a 1-gallon growler as a fermenter) to 2L bottles using an autosiphon. In the 2L bottles, I force carbonate the beers using a carbonation cap.

I'm looking for the simplest way to transfer my beer from my 1-gallon growler to the 2L bottle. While the autosiphon works reliably, I'm just too lazy and want something that requires less work. I need to minimize the exposure to air. Does anyone have suggestions?

One thing I was thinking of was to devise a special cap for my 1-gallon fermenter. The cap would have a silicone tube on the end which would be used to fill the 2L bottle. I could invert my 1-gallon growler and essentially be able to "pour" into the 2L bottle. This idea could be further improved by using a bazooka screen and cold-crashing my inverted 1-gallon fermenter overnight before racking. There will be a length of pipe/tube to elevate my bazooka screen so it can draw in beer and not sediment. This would essentially filter my beer before I carbonate it. My concern is that when I invert it for cold-crashing, there will be air trapped inside the growler - will this affect my beer?

Attempting to post a pic of my idea....
Edit: The green stuff in my pic is supposed to be sediment. Hope you enjoy my Microsoft Paint skills.

1-Gallon  Pic.jpg

Buy a 2 gal corny keg and ferment in that. All you have to do is remove the gas post and put in a blow off tube or attach a gas disconnect with a tube.

Not cheap, but much easier.

Back