Transferriing to carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heebinator

Reaction score
I just started brewing again after about 20 years retirement. I started primary fermentation 2 days ago in my plastic covered bucket instead of my glass carboy. Can I safely transfer it to my carboy to finish fermenting, or would I be better off leaving it? I can't see my brew and it's killing me! Glad to find this site. Thanks!

I just started brewing again after about 20 years retirement. I started primary fermentation 2 days ago in my plastic covered bucket instead of my glass carboy. Can I safely transfer it to my carboy to finish fermenting, or would I be better off leaving it? I can't see my brew and it's killing me! Glad to find this site. Thanks!

leave it alone

Leave it alone, there's no reason to move it especially this soon. If you do more than likely you will end up with a stuck fermentation because you took it off the yeast and interrupted it. Hell many of us NEVER rack to a carboy opting instead for just leaving our beers in primary for a month. Next time if you want a picture show get yourself a 6-6.5 gallon carboy and ferment in it, but don't f- with this batch just because you want a cheap thrill. Go watch you tube fermentation videos instead.

Like this;

{url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJml7fF6Bpo[/url]

i would do it, but only after your gravity reading is stable. when you do, you leave all the dead yeast at the bottom of the primary and once it finishes out in the secondary you will beer should be a little clearer and/or taste better. some say if you keep it in the primary the whole time the dead yeast sometime can effect the taste of the beer.

some people do it and some dont. it cant hurt anything.

I'm pretty new to this but have read MANY, MANY pages of this forum. From what I see, it's really up to you. Most of the consensus seems to be leave the beer alone for at least 3 weeks in the primary, then you can bottle. Used to be the 1-2-3 rule: 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks to condition/carbonate. Seems the extra time of 3 weeks on the yeast gives the little beasties time to clean up after themselves.

I'm bottling a batch tonight, it was a week in primary, and two in secondary. I'm going to make the same recipe next week. That on will be 3 weeks in the primary. (shrugging) Hey, I needed my primary.... And yes, I'll try to save some from this batch to test against the next one, but, that might not happen....

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it if it's only two days old. I content myself to sniff the airlock and count how many seconds between bubbles. But, I also use vodka in the airlocks so sniffing is an experience in itself.

I figured that was the answer I'd get. I'm sure I'll be back on here asking silly questions again, so be prepared.Thank you guys for your expertise, and also for the ever so sexy video link :mug:

Back