Transfer question!! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaggonofmead

Reaction score
I browsed through the stickies but didn't see anything that directly answered my question. I'm moving a red ale from primary to secondary to the carboy.

As I understand, it is desired to siphon from the secondary to the bottling bucket. Is this true for the transfer from primary to secondary? Or do I want the yeast sediment mixing around in the carboy for a day or two?

My first batch I used a funnel and strainer for the aforementioned transfer. A speedy response would be MUCHO appreciated, as today is the day for the transfer.

having a cold one and waiting intently. Thanks guys and gals.

D

siphon after pitching, this way you do not oxidize your beer.

siphon after pitching, this way you do not oxidize your beer.

Yes. Once your beer has fermented in the primary, you always want to siphon it from one vessel to the next. Never pour or slosh it around after it has finished fermenting in the primary.

Once your beer is fermented, you want to avoid oxidation, meaning that you should minimize the beer surface area exposed to air. That means no bubbles, and no agitation of the beer near air. So yes, very gentle siphoning always.

Secondary is also to help clear the beer up by removing from the yeast/protein/trub sediment.

Many on the forum do not do secondary, but leave in primary for 3-4 weeks, then carefully siphon to bottling bucket/keg. Apparently this is due to modern yeast being healthy enough that it does not negatively affect small batches if left in contact with the beer for extend periods.

Latest posts

Back