Traitor IPA - Badger Hill 7.0% 70 IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
Looking for help creating or finding a clone recipe for Traitor IPA from Badger Hill!

ABV: 7% by Vol.
PLATO: 16.5 (1.068 SG)
IBU: 70

Badger Hill's site says:
We let our hop lovin’ wishes come true, with lots and lots and lots of Citra, Centennial, Cascade and Galaxy hops added throughout the brewing process, including dry-hopping, to give distinct hop flavor and waves of aroma. Oh, and we go a little Benedict Arnold by using US Pale Malt with British yeast to give Traitor a smooth, dry finish.​
------------------------------------------------------

Recipe updated to reflect comments and some information from Badger Hill

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 7.52 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.6 IBU
Estimated ABV: 7.0 %
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

13 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 95%
2.4 oz Simpsons Crystal Light - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L-15L (12.0 SRM) 1.0%
4.6 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 2.0% (for mash pH)

Mash at 151 for 60 minutes.

0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.86 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 tsp - Irish Moss - Boil 10 min
4.5 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) - Boil for 10 min (2.0% of grainbill)

***40 minute Hopstand method used to impart more hop flavor and aroma****
@0 minutes 2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - These hops are added at flameout. Be sure to cover the boil kettle to trap in any hop oils that may volatilize.
@20 minutes, begin cooling wort to around 180*F. Once at 180*F, add 2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %]. Let steep for 20 more minutes with the lid on.

Cool and transfer to fermenter
British Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1098) [124.21 ml] (when making the yeast starter, keep the temperature as close to 64*F as possible. You want to minimize ester production. Overpitch if possible).

Ferment on the low end of the yeast, and again that is around 64*F.

After fermentation has finished bring the temperature up to 70*F to maximize the flavor of the dry hops you are about to add.

2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop for 5.0 Days
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Photo courtesy of Doing Beer Justice

005.JPG

Last edited:
Pale Malt (2 row) US (2.0 SRM)
Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

Given that those are the three grains that comprise this beer, what percentage of each would you assume makes up this beer (at least based on the picture above)? I would assume 2% acid malt, but not sure the percentages of the others.

Pale Malt (2 row) US (2.0 SRM)
Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

Given that those are the three grains that comprise this beer, what percentage of each would you assume makes up this beer (at least based on the picture above)? I would assume 2% acid malt, but not sure the percentages of the others.

something like:

Pale Malt (2 row) US (2.0 SRM) 91%
Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 2%
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 7%

appears to be 6ish SRM

What's teh mouthfeel of the beer? Is it kinda creamy for an IPA? If so, I'd bet the yeast is Wyeast 1318 (supposedly used by farmstead hills). If not, I'd guess its Wyeast 1968

What's teh mouthfeel of the beer? Is it kinda creamy for an IPA? If so, I'd bet the yeast is Wyeast 1318 (supposedly used by farmstead hills). If not, I'd guess its Wyeast 1968

It has a creamy mouthfeel. So for now I'll proceed with Wyeast 1318.

Sounds like a plan. So you've got an estimated grain bill and yeast. For the hop bill, it looks like its pretty saturated with late addition hops. I'd add liek 1oz of somethign high alpha at 60min, maybe 1oz of centennial/citra/cascade at 10min, and then a boatload at flameout followed by a hopstand. Youll have to pick which hop the flavor leans more to. Citra will be tropical/citrus, cascade most grapefruit, and centennial has some floral notes with citrus. I'm guessing that they save galaxy for the hopstand/whirlpool, maybe even after the wort reaches 180F for its amazing aroma qualities. Probably also for most of the dry hop

Side note: WY1318 is notorious for having a large amount of krausen that sometime refuses to drop even weeks into fermentation. I've had to punch through it for gravity readings and once even to bottle. Usually if I gently rock the fermentor it will be gone the next day though. However, this does make it a good candidate for yeast harvesting

Is there a big difference between "Pale Malt, Maris Otter" and normal 2-row Pale Malt? How would I be able to tell which may have been used in this beer?

Edit: Seeing as they say they use "US Pale Malt", that rules out Maris Otter then?

Maris Otter is a bit more malty and has more character than 2 row. But it's not an enormous difference, at least to me. I'd say its safe to bet that they used a domestic pale ale malt. Pale Ale malt is a bit maltier than just regular 2row, its a tiny bit more kilned too. I think of it as the US version of Maris Otter. But like I said, not a huge difference either way. You wont taste it under all those hops you'll be adding

Well it looks like we have iteration 1 of the recipe complete. I'll be brewing a Surly Furious clone in about a month (I already have all the hops in the freezer), so I think end of July is a likely time for me to give this recipe a shot. Seems far away, but I'm sure as life gets busy it will sneak up soon enough.

I'd go 1098 for your yeast, and I'd also add a small amount of dextrose to dry out. Hint hint. Ferment out at the cooler end of the spectrum and make sure you do not underpitch as you will want to minimize the esters created during the propogation stage. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for trying and best of luck with the brew!

And one other thing....no MO....we save that for MSB.

Prost
Broc

I'd go 1098 for your yeast, and I'd also add a small amount of dextrose to dry out. Hint hint. Ferment out at the cooler end of the spectrum and make sure you do not underpitch as you will want to minimize the esters created during the propogation stage. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for trying and best of luck with the brew!

And one other thing....no MO....we save that for MSB.

Prost
Broc

Broc, thank you so much for the additional hints (information). I've updated the recipe to include half a pound of dextrose (other recipes like Pliny the Elder uses something in that ballpark) and also changed the yeast to 1098.

So the recipe is now 3.5% dextrose, 1.7% acid malt, 6.3% Crystal (10-15L), and 88.5% Pale Malt 2-row (all speculation, if anyone disagrees let me know and we can update the recipe). I found that I had to bump the mash temp up from 150 to 152 for BeerSmith to keep the same gravity and ABV after adding the dextrose like Broc suggested.

Looks like we are on a great start! I'm entertaining the idea of making this next instead of the one I already bought ingredients for.

Does anyone have experience with estimating IBUs from hopstand hops? I feel like I have seen charts before that say how much utilization you get at certain temp ranges and times. That way I can lessen my early bittering hops so that the IBUs are closer to 70.

Latest posts

Back