Traditional Helles Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGerman

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Homebrewers,

In my pursuit in trying to brew an authentic "oldschool" German/Munich Helles, I have come across a few questions during my beer style research that I wanted to bounce off of the homebrew community for the experts and experienced among us.

If I have read correctly, an original "Helles" was brewed exclusively with the lightest colored/kilned malt (today: German Pilsner Malt) and most likely exclusively one type of noble hop (Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, Spalt, Hersbrucker, Tettnanger, etc.). In essence, this would have been a SMaSH brew, right?

Additionally, I am assuming these beers were decocted, either triple or double. I have read here on the forums that many will add some Munich, Vienna, or Melanoidin in a Helles Recipe to an infusion mash to add a "decoction" character, which has however been greatly debated whether or not this is actually true.

I do know for a fact that some Bavarian breweries will brew their Helles/Original/Lager with 100% Pilsner malt, even those that infusion mash (multi-step of course) and produce some tasty brews. They are for the most part filtered, and I assume that the oldschool Helles brews were however unfiltered.

What my questions to the community are:
1. Can you make a tasty SMaSH Helles, true to style?
2. Would you keep a Helles unfiltered?
3. Will the color still be within acceptable style range using only Euro Pilsner malt with the lack of a decoction mash?

Thanks in advance for advice!

1) Absolutely
2) Never filtered mine. Extended lagering clears it right up. Crystal.
3) Depends on the pilsner malt. Some are darker than others, but the difference between straw-yellow and light golden is close enough to be pretty much the same.

That all being said I add about 4% light munich and about 2 oz of melanoidin to my current 6 gallon iteration of M. helles using Weyermann pils as a base

Back