Trader Joe's Simple times lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktillman1

Reaction score
Worst beer ever! Has anyone ever had this. My mom brought me some. She said it was 3.99 for a sixer. I have never been to trader joes but have heard great things about them but.... ewww you have to try this its that bad. The only beer I've ever had that made me gag. I've been cooking with it and its fine. throw some fajitas in the pressure cooker with one can comes out great. Has anyone tried this beer?

We used to buy this for parties here in college and let me tell you, after a long night of only drinking this stuff, there have definitely been simpler times....

Had worse, but 3.49 a 6 pack come on... what were you think when you bought it...lol It reminds me of beer I drank in the 70's PBR , Stroh’s , Schlitz .... You all might be a little too young to relate. That’s what they made back before the flood of imports and the start of craft brewing in the US.:cross:

Had worse, but 3.49 a 6 pack come on... what were you think when you bought it...lol It reminds me of beer I drank in the 70's PBR , Stroh’s , Schlitz .... You all might be a little too young to relate. That’s what they made back before the flood of imports and the start of craft brewing in the US.:cross:

Honestly, I think they were going for something like this with that one. Look at the name alone. Not my favorite, but I can imagine somebody who grew up drinking Schlitz or the like being inrtrigued enough to buy it. There are a lot of different tastes out there. Most other beers I have tried at Trader Joe's have actually been really good.

I've had the simpler times lager---nasty! reminded me of Natty ice. My old roommate was a human garbage disposal and he couldn't even drink it. The rest of the sixer became bb gun targets.

I like some of the Trader Joe's beers - their bohemian lager is good, vienna lager isn't too bad, Stockyard Oatmeal Stout is awesome considering the price. Their hofbrau bock is downright disgusting. Their stuff from Mission St. isn't bad, particularly the pale ale and IPA. Haven't tried the others though.

Hey man, PBR is having a revival here. All the "cool" kids are drinking it. I guess it helps that you can get a can for 50 cents at the bar...

Simpler times is pretty bad. I got a sixer because it was cheap and could only drink two. PBR is having a come back among the hipster crowd I hear them talk about it all the time.

I've had the simpler times lager---nasty! reminded me of Natty ice. My old roommate was a human garbage disposal and he couldn't even drink it. The rest of the sixer became bb gun targets.

I like some of the Trader Joe's beers - their bohemian lager is good, vienna lager isn't too bad, Stockyard Oatmeal Stout is awesome considering the price. Their hofbrau bock is downright disgusting. Their stuff from Mission St. isn't bad, particularly the pale ale and IPA. Haven't tried the others though.

Mission Street is brewed by Firestone Walker at Firestone Walker. The IPA and the pale ale are very close to the Firestone versions of those styles.

I used to buy that in Chicago when I was on a tight budget. There is worse. it was cheaper and tastier than the BMC options so i said what the heck. (also at 6.5% you get a bit of a kick for it) Its made by a fun little brewery in southern WI.

I had part of a bottle of Pale that I was told was the "house brand" from CostCo. I have no idea about the truth of the statement but have no reason to doubt the person that told me. I drank about two swallows, that was all I could stand.

Don't write off all TJ's beer. Mission St. Pale ale is made by Firestone walker, and has won a number of medals at the GABF.

Hell, Firestone won gold and silver at GABF for pale ales this past year. Pale 31 (80% Mission St/ 20% Double Barrel Ale) took gold, and Mission St took silver.

But yes, the simple times lager is complete crap.

I read the JosefBrau line is made by Gordon Biersch out of San Jose. I've had a couple and most have been pretty good.

Simpler Times and Name Tag Lager are both pretty bad cheap beers from Trader Joe's.

They do have some good house labeled beers, however. Others have already mentioned the Mission St. Pale Ale, which is pretty good. I especially like their Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, and their Czech Pils isn't too bad either.

I wish i lived near one i would pick up some of the others mentioned. Im always down try a cheap beer! I will have to pick some up next time I'm close to one.

I've noticed my local TJs has really expanded their stock of Stone beers. Cheapest place to get an Arrogant Bastard now.

I've tried a couple of the beers from TJ"s, a stout, and a wheat, both were not bad for the price. And about PBR, as soon as the college kids decided it was "cool" the price went up:mad:

Back