Trade Warning: Recapped/Rewaxed Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, for $35M+ worth of wine though, not $150 worth of beer haha

I remember that story as it was developing (Wine Spectator subscriber), I can't even begin to imagine fleecing that many people on the backs of rare wine
Well, it's probably a lot more than $150, especially by secondary market value, but yeah, that's why I said it wasn't likely. If you fudge $1k on your tax returns it's unlikely that you'll get shit****ed by the IRS, but it's possible. They sometimes go after low-time violators just to send a message, if someone tips off the FBI about this guy it's unlikely that they'll decide to go after him, but who knows? Maybe they would.

Well, it's probably a lot more than $150, especially by secondary market value, but yeah, that's why I said it wasn't likely. If you fudge $1k on your tax returns it's unlikely that you'll get shit****ed by the IRS, but it's possible. They sometimes go after low-time violators just to send a message, if someone tips off the FBI about this guy it's unlikely that they'll decide to go after him, but who knows? Maybe they would.

Playing devils advocate here.....it's illegal to sell/trade beer.....so how exactly would they have a case?

Turns out guy that is involved in this forgery had another BA identity: Edwardfortyhands Fyi in case he show up here.

I remember that guy from BA. Complete ******* and moron. MrVonzipper didn't one of your bannings result from an interaction with that dude where the Bros (predictably) took his side?

Playing devils advocate here.....it's illegal to sell/trade beer.....so how exactly would they have a case?

stop-cat.gif

What? No it's not. What part of that transaction is illegal? And if it were illegal, then selling wine would be too and they clearly prosecuted the fake wine guy.

What? No it's not. What part of that transaction is illegal? And if it were illegal, then selling wine would be too and they clearly prosecuted the fake wine guy.

I can't speak for other states, but here you have to have a license to sell alcohol in any capacity. If the dude was a wine dealer, I'm sure he had the proper licenses to do so. I guess I'll just wait for more gifs telling me to stop instead of just passing by my posts. I'm actually interested in knowing the actual facts about this.

I can't speak for other states, but here you have to have a license to sell alcohol in any capacity. If the dude was a wine dealer, I'm sure he had the proper licenses to do so. I guess I'll just wait for more gifs telling me to stop instead of just passing by my posts. I'm actually interested in knowing the actual facts about this.
The conversations I've had with the TTB lead me to believe it's legal to resell everywhere as long as tax has been paid on it once. (This was in the context of asking about MBC, which is apparently legal.) I found it odd but whatever.

ETA: Also, only the selling is usually illegal, so if that's a problem in Illinois/Iowa/whatever it seems like the guy could be in even more trouble.

I can't speak for other states, but here you have to have a license to sell alcohol in any capacity. If the dude was a wine dealer, I'm sure he had the proper licenses to do so. I guess I'll just wait for more gifs telling me to stop instead of just passing by my posts.

You've been around a while and I'm sure you have seen/had this same tired "trading might technically not be possibly illegal" argument.

It's awful and you know it so just shut up already.

You've been around a while and I'm sure you have seen/had this same tired "trading might technically not be possibly illegal" argument.

It's awful and you know it so just shut up already.

What's your problem? If you don't like my posts either block me or just pass by. We have a lot of people on here with legal and/or industry experience, I was looking for facts. I've seen plenty of discussions about this topic, but I've never seen a definitive answer on reselling of alcohol, just a bunch of opinions and anecdotal evidence.

man, i remember edwardfortyhands. what a piece of ****.

i can't remember the exact reason he made my no-trade list, but it's not a long list and he must really have made me angry to do so.
He was flipping the previous TG stout releases by hyping the hell outta them when he was offering them for trade and other people were looking for them - all the while quietly loweballing other people trading them to hoard more.

There was probably some other nastiness associated with this shining example of beer trade etiquette as well.

Dude contacted me on Reddit under the username hal9005 a few months back and wanted to trade KBBS + Assassin for Blåbær 14. Luckily he just stopped replying at one point. Scum.

according to TG's BookFace they know the perp of the "Great Neckbeard Bottle Switcharoo of 2014" alluded to the fact that it was someone who was at least acquainted to the staff and owner. They banned him from the tasting room blah, thanks to the beer community blah, we love you all blah, the beastie boys fought for your right to party blah, blah blah blah. Only a matter of time before that pitchfork wielding ISO:FT group posts who it is as some BA users clearly know the deets. I love that place.

Last edited:
according to TG's BookFace they know the perp of the "Great Neckbeard Bottle Switcharoo of 2014" alluded to the fact that it was someone who was at least acquainted to the staff and owner. They banned him from the tasting room blah, thanks to the beer community blah, we love you all blah, the beastie boys fought for your right to party blah, blah blah blah. Only a matter of time before that pitchfork wielding ISO:FT group posts who it is as some BA users clearly know the deets. I love that place.
Facebook beat them to it. Just posted his name. Sharpen your pitchforks.

That's surprising. You'd think a university professor would have enough to lose to not bother with something so trivial.

What's surprising is that these internet freaks can, in a matter of an hour or so, figure out everything about you.

Bumping for timeliness.

10858575_10152903126343609_869439288215161614_n.jpg

Background for anyone who hasn't seen (also info on the Bro-channel which I won't link to):

https://www.facebook.com/TGBREWS/posts/10152677687314735?fref=nf

Toppling Goliath Brewing Co.

4 hrs ·
Hello, Friends.

Yesterday, we had the misfortune of experiencing one of the most dishonest acts that we’ve ever had to face. A certain individual had been taking our beers, refilling them with other beers, and then trading the forgeries. To prove a trust-of-trade, the individual had been citing close relations to several of our employees, including our owner. These claims are exaggerated and are definitely not the kinds of actions Toppling Goliath does, or would condone.

While we will not share the person’s identity, we do know who the perpetrator was and have taken actions to prohibit their access to our beers. No longer will they be welcome in our tap room. Should it be found that others are exercising the same dishonesty with our beers, similar actions will be taken.

On a lighter side, we are thankful for the craft beer community and their continual support for Toppling Goliath in all that we do. We enjoy making great beers, and sharing great beers. It is our hope, with your support, that we can continue along a positive path and prevent instances like we experienced yesterday.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back