Tracking down leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macminn18

Reaction score
I'm a newbie in the kegging world. I built my keezer, and LOVE it, as does my bride. I currently have 4 kegs in there. The latest one I put in there was 3 weeks ago.
I went to have a brew last night from the newest one, and no beer came out. I checked inside, and the Co2 tank is empty. The other kegs are dispensing beer.
I'm assuming that the newest keg is the culprit? I didn't have time last night to dig into it too far.

I use a spray bottle full of starsan and spray all my connections to check for leaks. The starsan will bubble up with the slightest gas leak. You can also use water with a little dish soap in it. Check your keg lid, PRV, quick disconnects, fittings, all connections.

And yes, if the other three kegs are holding pressure (assuming you must have some sort of check valve on each line), then you could trace the leak to something on that keg line.

I am going through something similar. I finished my first keezer last week. I put one keg in there and force carbonated it. Immediately I noticed that the CO2 tank was substantially low but I thought maybe it was just because it was cold... Anyway, there was/is only one keg in there and the CO2 ran out within days, before I could even test the lines.

I changed out the CO2 this evening and immediately tested all of the connections with dish soap bubbles and found no leaks at all. Problem is that I can hear it coming out right at the gas connection on the keg. Looking at the gauge on my CO2 tank it has already dropped far more than it should in such a short time. My kegs are used so I unfortunately think that my keg is the culprit which sucks big time and leaves me a bit SOL...

If you are using swivel nuts on the hose to attach to the barbed disconnects, sometimes they can leak at the swivel nuts if they are not tight. Also if you can hear it at the gas connection the disconnect has a screw slot on the top of it. Make sure that is tight also. You may want to change out the o-ring on the gas in dip tube inside the keg. Just some ideas to check.....

John

Also, when using swivel nuts, make sure there's a nylon flare gasket inside or the male has a captive gasket (eg: most QDs)...

Cheers!

I changed out the CO2 this evening and immediately tested all of the connections with dish soap bubbles and found no leaks at all. Problem is that I can hear it coming out right at the gas connection on the keg. Looking at the gauge on my CO2 tank it has already dropped far more than it should in such a short time. My kegs are used so I unfortunately think that my keg is the culprit which sucks big time and leaves me a bit SOL...

Sounds like the O-Ring is not sealing.
You could try replacing the rubber O-Ring on the post.

Replacement Ball-Lock O-Rings. Bulk..
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Ball Lock

Dip-Tube O-Ring -- Buna-N 5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" #9452K172
Post O-Ring -- Buna-N 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" #9452K23
Lid O-Ring -- Buna-N 3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" #9452K218

Pin Lock

Post O-Ring -- Buna-N 1/2" ID x 11/16" OD x 3/32" #9452K24

Thanks! They sent me some extra o-ring replacements with the kegs so I am going to check what I have and see if its in there. I appreciate the help. Sorry to hijack your thread macminn!

Back