Trójniak Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My plans are to make a 3 gallon batch of this Polish Mead.

I found a calculator to help with the step feeding. I am going to start with all the water, which is just under 2 gallons. I am going to start with 7 pounds of honey in this water, and get the fermentation started. This should get me to about 1.100.

Here is where my questions start …..

Which yeast to use ?

D-47, 71B, EC-1118, Kveik, Voss, Hothead, 4632 Dry Mead, or something else.

Which fruit juice would I choose ?

Elderberry, prune, tart cherry, grape …… maybe something else ?????

The amount fruit juice will replace the water, on a 1:1 ratio.

So, back to the mead itself.

7 pounds of honey with ~2 gallons water, get the fermentation going. When that hits the 1/3 sugar break, add 2 more pounds of honey. Here I was thinking of removing 8 to 12 ounces of the fermenting mead, warm it, and the honey, slightly. Mix this well and return that back into the fermenting mead. I will do this two more times.

If I don’t use any fruit juice, my SG should be around 1.150, once all the honey is added.

YES, I will use the TOSNA protocol.

Monitor the fermentation process, and rack once the airlock has pretty much stopped. Hopefully I will have a decent gravity at this point. Monitor it, keeping the airlock filled. Rack it again in 30 days (maybe).

Once I am satisfied the fermentation has completed, put a solid bung in the carboy and put it away in a cool, dark place. Checking on it periodically, but basically let it age.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Especially on the yeast selection and possible fruit juice.

Apple juice and EC-1118. Should be great.

D47 can have issues if not fed correctly. I've tried to get good results with it but I've never been happy with anything I've made with it. EC-1118 is fool proof. Ferments dry but very clean.

All the Best,
D. White

1. UvaFerm 43: Simply the best yeast for this. The guys who win Mazer cups for Polish mead use this. Also, you can add all honey upfront with this yeast! Pitch at least 4 grams per gallon.
2. GoFerm rehydration and TOSNA nutrient schedule.
3. Raspberries are used in Jadwiga (one of the most famous commercial Polish meads), but huckleberry, lingonberry or any combo of berries could work.

With an SG of 1.160 (fruit included), you can expect around 1.025 FG. Expect to put it away for a while. Oak aging would also be advised to mellow the high ABV. A barrel even better. Cheers!

Back