Toying with the idea of Water Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
I'm not going to go all in with everything you can do with water, I've read through the articles and it's just to much for me - right now.

I did however believe I'd ask my town about what they measure and see how that stacks up...of course it's not a Ward report...but what are your thoughts on what they did give me?

• Calcium (Hardness CACO3) 20-45 mg/L; our water is considered “soft.”

• Sodium 6.0-6.0 mg/L

• Chlorine- we are a Free Chlorine Disinfection System; we do not use Chloramines.
    • Chlorine Residual 1.30-1.60 mg/L

• Chlorite 0.071-0.454 mg/L

• Chlorine Dioxide nd- 0.048 mg/L
  • Total Alkalinity 20-30 mg/L

I'm in a similar situation - don't want to educate myself but want to tweak. I'd plug those values into a free spreadsheet (Bru'n water is what I use) and mess around. I've been happy with small adjustments I've made.

Hardness as CaCO3 is not your waters calcium level. If you take the hardness midrange of 32.5, that level of hardness would correspond to a ballpark guess of 9.2 ppm calcium and a similar ballpark guess of 2.3 ppm magnesium.

2.5*9.2 + 4.12*2.3 = 32.48 (or right close to the 32.5 ppm midrange hardness)

You will need to add 1/4 of a Campden tablet (crushed) to each 5 gallons of your water to rid it of the chlorine.

Hardness as CaCO3 is not your waters calcium level. If you take the hardness midrange of 32.5, that level of hardness would correspond to a ballpark guess of 9.2 ppm calcium and a similar ballpark guess of 2.3 ppm magnesium.

2.5*9.2 + 4.12*2.3 = 32.48 (or right close to the 32.5 ppm midrange hardness)

You will need to add 1/4 of a Campden tablet (crushed) to each 5 gallons of your water to rid it of the chlorine.

This was my plan - the campden. I also read that either boiling or letting the water sit overnight removes the chlorine (I guess it dissipates)...or a carbon filter at a slow flow rate. Campden however is cheap and quick....others are slow and free.

That partial report doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t tell you enough. More than likely, its a good starting point. You’ll need to research more.

Is there a cheaper report than the $50 ward brewers water test? That seems quite high.

IMG_4495.png

But that is the price to have them mail you a plastic bottle in a box with a pre-paid (that you pay for) postage tag.
If you provide all that it's $27.25.
I sent them a two ounce plastic bottle via USPS. Postage was like two bucks, sent a check for what they were asking back then...

Cheers!

[edit] Look here https://www.wardlab.com/services/water-analysis/ w501

I'm not going to go all in with everything you can do with water, I've read through the articles and it's just to much for me - right now.

I did however believe I'd ask my town about what they measure and see how that stacks up...of course it's not a Ward report...but what are your thoughts on what they did give me?

• Calcium (Hardness CACO3) 20-45 mg/L; our water is considered “soft.”

• Sodium 6.0-6.0 mg/L

• Chlorine- we are a Free Chlorine Disinfection System; we do not use Chloramines.
    • Chlorine Residual 1.30-1.60 mg/L

• Chlorite 0.071-0.454 mg/L

• Chlorine Dioxide nd- 0.048 mg/L
  • Total Alkalinity 20-30 mg/L
Ask your LHBS, they usually have good numbers on hand. My LHBS had the values for all 3 water supplies near me and they are pretty accurate.

Assuming the midrange scenario again, with alkalinity at 25 ppm (and thereby bicarb at 30.5 ppm), and seeing that you are missing ppm values for chloride and sulfate ions, I played around with mEq/L scenarios which balance cations and anions, and I discovered this:

1) For the case of zero chloride ions (Cl-), the maximum sulfate ion (SO4--) value will be around 19.5 ppm.
2) For the case of zero sulfate ions the maximum chloride ion value will be around 14.5 ppm.
3) If Cl- and SO4-- were to have the same ppm value (which is possible but not likely), they would both be around 8.3 ppm.

If you do get a Ward Labs report remember to multiply their reported SO4-S value by 3 to derive your actual SO4-- value.

The biggest problem is that it appears your water is blended, and that means the blend of a submitted sample will not necessarily be the blend on brew day.

A purely mid-range blended water ballpark guess (100% speculation sans that it does cation/anion balance as to mEq/L's):

Ca++ = 9.2 ppm
Mg++ = 2.3 ppm
Na+ = 6.0 ppm
Cl- = 5.7 ppm
SO4-- = 12 ppm
Alkalinity as CaCO3 = 25 ppm
Bicarbonate (HCO3-) = 30.5 ppm
Total Hardness as CaCO3 = 32.5 ppm

A purely mid-range blended water ballpark guess (100% speculation sans that it does cation/anion balance as to mEq/L's):

Ca++ = 9.2 ppm
Mg++ = 2.3 ppm
Na+ = 6.0 ppm
Cl- = 5.7 ppm
SO4-- = 12 ppm
Alkalinity = 25 ppm
Bicarbonate = 30.5 ppm
Total Hardness = 32.5 ppm

Thanks. I also have asked the lhbs to see if they have analysis - they would have the same city water as I do. If not I’ll send a vial into Ward.

Presuming that there are only two sources for the blend, and also guessing that each represents an opposite poll of the given extremes (a huge guess all in itself):

Source water #1 pure speculative guess:

Ca++ = 5.6 ppm
Mg++ = 1.5 ppm
Na+ = 6.0 ppm
Cl- = 3.9 ppm
SO4-- = 7.4 ppm
Alkalinity as CaCO3 = 20 ppm
Bicarbonate (HCO3-) = 24.4 ppm
Total Hardness as CaCO3 = 20 ppm

Source water #2 pure speculative guess:

Ca++ = 12.6 ppm
Mg++ = 3.3 ppm
Na+ = 6.0 ppm
Cl- = 7.6 ppm
SO4-- = 16.4 ppm
Alkalinity as CaCO3 = 30 ppm
Bicarbonate (HCO3-) = 36.6 ppm
Total Hardness as CaCO3 = 45 ppm

Knowing how these things go, I can't wait to see how far off these guesses are from a grab samples snap-shot glimpse of the reality of the moment of sampling.

Last edited:
I believe that Ward needs at least 8 ounces and prefers 16 ounces. I think the container they sent me was one pint. Call or email them before sending only a vial.

They ask for an 8oz sample. Need to send a sample of my well water in today. Want to try the slaked lime method of reducing alkalinity. The few times I’ve used my well water I preboiled and decanted which is just too much of a pain.

I believe that Ward needs at least 8 ounces and prefers 16 ounces. I think the container they sent me was one pint. Call or email them before sending only a vial.

Their brewers submitter form says 8-16 oz. or just get a drinking water bottle - they reccomend this (the cheap flimsy plastic ones) and just was and rinse. Let your water run for 5 min and send that in with a check.

I just did this.

Wonder how long it takes?

Their brewers submitter form says 8-16 oz. or just get a drinking water bottle - they reccomend this (the cheap flimsy plastic ones) and just was and rinse. Let your water run for 5 min and send that in with a check.

I just did this.

Wonder how long it takes?

They work fast once they receive the sample. They should email you the results within 1-3 days after they receive it.

A lot of folks would love to have water like that to brew with. You can make any style without having to do much of anything but add Calcium and maybe a little acid to get pH into spec. That’s not far from perfect water.

Nice water indeed! The biggest mistake I made in my blended water guess was in presuming that there would be more sulfate than chloride, wherein it proves to be the opposite. Other than that I wasn't far off at all with my guess work. When I saw that the first word of the subject line was "toying", that is precisely what I did.

Back