Tower of Power is out...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked one of these out today at Home Brew 4 Less in Chambersburg PA today - the owner said he was teh only person in PA licensed to sell them - he said the tower, mash tun, and HLT ocntrols ran around 1700.

My opinion?

It is wonderfully compact - it looks more like a hospital IV stand than a brewing component - and that is probably a good thing. It's small and would likely be great to play with but for the price it seems a bit much.

If i had the cash to blow on something like this I would probably go for it - especially if it could do an electric setup.

I understand quality, but a $575 controller to brew beer? I'm finishing up a electric brew kettle controller that will be less than $300. Plus it will have a auxiliary control to turn a pump on & off. The controller does not use temperature feedback because you don't need temperature feedback to boil wurt, you need to be able to adjust the amount of energy going to the heating element just like you adjust the flame on a gas fired unit. The same controller can be used in a small RIMS setup - all you have to do is monitor your thermometer and adjust accordingly!

You are comparing apples to oranges.

I did a bunch of research on the components to build this bad boy... if you were not getting a bulk discount you are looking at about $350 without the box and the third party software

Sure I am, for starters his unit controls a gas flame and mine is electric. I guess at the end of the day it's whatever you want to use to brew your beer.

Lol.. You're comparing a phase angle controller to a PID controlled SSR... It COMPLETELY different... You can't control mash temperature automatically with your phase angle... I own both types of controllers for good reason, they perform different tasks. I will agree that a phase angle is sufficient for non automated/replicated boils.

BTW, I coulda built your phase angle controller for 60 bucks (to control 5500w).

Back on topic

This blichman system looks pretty cool, but, I take pride in building my own equipment, and, I run electric. I'd probably buy this if I decided to build a gas system.

Except I don't use a phase angle controller, I use PWM. This way you can visually see how "ON" the element is by watching the light flash.

I've used the ToP now for 5 brews, and I also do demos with it every Saturday. It is very high quality and works awesome. Yes, you can build one cheaper if you have the time and knowledge. In fact, I have several friends that have built their own controls that work as good or better. As an "Out of the box and ready to go system", not only is this the only one that you can use with any brew system, but it is proven to work and is guaranteed.

I would be more then happy to answer any questions anyone has offline about the ToP. I am one of the few Blichmann Dealers that actually has the ToP in stock and that has also used it. You can message me offline or send me an e-mail - [email protected] .

Back