Tough mash question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamilt22

Reaction score
I posted this question the other day in a different forum and got no response. Maybe some one in here knows...

I've been reading through 'Brew Like a Monk' and in the section on Chimay, they talk about using wheat starch (wheat flour in its White) as an adjunct in their recipes to improve head retention (they use 6-Row malts to convert the extra starches in the mash).

Does anyone have any experience with the stuff? The dubbel I brewed recently does not have the massive, sticky head that I had hoped for (I used 2-Row Pils, Special B, dark candi sugar). I'm tempted to try another one with 6-Row and throwing some wheat starch in the mix, but I'm not sure what proportions to use, or if there's a special process involved. Do you just add the starch as you dough in?

Then there's the question of if I even want to bother with it in the first place. Thoughts?

I can't help with the use of the flour. I've heard of it being used by some homebrewers to give a more permanent haze to wheat beers, but not to increase head retention.

If you haven't already done so, you might try listening to Jamil's podcasts on Dubbels and Triples on the Brewing Network. I don't remember him talking about using flour, but he may have given some other tips for getting the head retention you're looking for.

The Brewing Network.com - The Jamil Show: Belgian Dubbel - The Jamil Show 09-08-08
The Brewing Network.com - The Jamil Show: Belgian Tripel - The Jamil Show 11-17-08

I've been reading through 'Brew Like a Monk' and in the section on Chimay, they talk about using wheat starch (wheat flour in its White) as an adjunct in their recipes to improve head retention (they use 6-Row malts to convert the extra starches in the mash).

I used flour in Witbiers only, a pund to the mash or a spoon to the boil. It improves haze, but head retention? Hard to say...

Back