Totally new have some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HypnoFrogs

Reaction score
Hello, new here. My names Morgan. I have never made beer but thought about it a lot. I was wondering if there are any tutorials that fully tell me how to brew beer so I can get a just of it. And maybe a material list and such? I tried peeking around but could not find much. thanks guys.

Look up 'how to brew' By John palmer. You can read first first edition for free online. I read that first and learned a lot. Also look at the threads here, and the recipe data base to see the different styles. Cheers and good luck!

HypnoFrogs,

I am fairly new to home brewing but what I did was think about brewing... for a long time... lol then my wife bought me a mr.beer kit and a how to home brew book (can't remeber the author) I just read that book cover to cover and then brewed my mr.beer batch and it all started to make sense. browse the hbt forum and you will find tons of helpful info, there are a lot of new brewers like you out there.

The mr.beer kit worked well for me because it was failry inexpensive and I could see if home brewing was something that I really wanted to get into. Its a lot of fun and its cool to learn about. I recommend watching the documentary "how beer saved the world" that really sparked my interest and made me appreciate beer a lot more

sweed said:
Look up 'how to brew' By John palmer. You can read first first edition for free online. I read that first and learned a lot. Also look at the threads here, and the recipe data base to see the different styles. Cheers and good luck!

+1 www.HowToBrew.com

Thank you all, I went to my nearest home brew hobby store and picked up a dark lager kit, its the easiest of its kind then il move onto extract or all grain. came with a bag of wort, bottling sugar, yeast, and possibly a few other things I do not remember. I also picked up two glass carboys 23L each for 25$ for both! and the air lock some tubing a siphoning rod and some other simple supplies. I pours the wort and water into a sanitized cooler and gave it a stir then sprinkled yeast over the top and lightly closed the cooler. it says to let it sit for 3-5 days then transfer to the carboy which I will be doing.

good luck to me!

HypnoFrogs said:
Thank you all, I went to my nearest home brew hobby store and picked up a dark lager kit, its the easiest of its kind then il move onto extract or all grain. came with a bag of wort, bottling sugar, yeast, and possibly a few other things I do not remember. I also picked up two glass carboys 23L each for 25$ for both! and the air lock some tubing a siphoning rod and some other simple supplies. I pours the wort and water into a sanitized cooler and gave it a stir then sprinkled yeast over the top and lightly closed the cooler. it says to let it sit for 3-5 days then transfer to the carboy which I will be doing.

good luck to me!

Do you remember what kind of yeast you used? If this is a true lager kit, with a lager yeast, your temperature needs to be quite cool - in the 50s. If it is a "fake" lager kit, with an ale yeast then the temp should be warmer - in the 60s. I don't know why brew shops sell lager kits to beginners. That just seems irresponsible. Lagers need a bit more skill, specialized equipment (to keep temps down), and more time.

Also, your method of fermenting in a cooler and then transferring to a carboy is unusual. It can probably work, but it would be better to use one of the 23L carboys to ferment in. This way you can just leave the beer in the carboy for a couple of weeks and not worry about transferring it until you bottle.

Yeah,the cooler won't seal up as well against wild yeasts & nasties as well as a carboy or ale pail. You should've fermente in the 23L carboy & skip secondaries all together.

unionrdr said:
Yeah,the cooler won't seal up as well against wild yeasts & nasties as well as a carboy or ale pail. You should've fermente in the 23L carboy & skip secondaries all together.

I think it would work fine during active fermentation, but the beer should definitely be racked after that - which is a major reason I would suggest not using this method - I don't like the idea of moving the beer after only 4 days.

I just don't like trusting a cooler lid through the whole primary. Transfering after initial fermentation might stall. Since he has two 6 gallon carboys,why not use that with an airlock?

I just don't like trusting a cooler lid through the whole primary. Transfering after initial fermentation might stall. Since he has two 6 gallon carboys,why not use that with an airlock?

I agree. But the cooler method will work. It's just not ideal (IMHO).

Hello. I was wondering an anybody tell me about cornelius kegging systems. I have been brewing beer at home for some time and usually just bottle it once fermented.

My directions told me to put it in a primary.. the cooler because I was not thinking. then after 3-5 days I transfer to secondary and wait 12-15 days then bottle. buttt.... after about a day I figured I did something stupid so I poured everything from the cooler into the carboy. everything. put a tube coming out of the rubber stopper into a bucket of water and it bubbled away with a lot of foam for a day or two, it has now ceased bubbling. Did I mess this up already? theres sediment at the bottom and probably one bubble or so a minute coming out of the airlock I have now put on it

And i cannot remember what type of yeast it was, I remember it being in a metallic yellow package if that helps at all... sorry. I wont be to disappointed if this doesnt work well, kind of just a trial run I suppose.

So far it sounds like everything's ok. And the metallic yellow packet sounds like Cooper's ale yeast. It comes in a packet that color.

+1 on "How to Brew" - buy a copy, it is a great book to have on hand.

Youtube just about any brewing process (sanitizing equipment, yeast starters, etc.) and you will find a tutorial

Podcasts - there are some really good podcasts that cover a wide range of brew related topics - Brewing Network (Jamil show, Brewstrong). Basic Brewing Radio.

These forums - check the permanent posts at the top that often outline the most often asked questions.

Don't get discouraged or frustrated - everyone makes mistakes, and has problems along the way. That is part of the learning process.

Il for sure look into that book! thanks!... Oh stupid problems of the first time doing something. I placed the stopper into the neck and submerged it about 1 cm into the neck of the carboy so now when I rack it into secondary I have to cut out the stopper! oh well.

I'll say you might have gotten lucky "dumping" everything over after you already pitched the yeast. I know you'll learn from this mistake, and only a day you were probably ok, but for future reference, try not to disturb the beer after you have pitched the yeast, adding back oxygen will give you stale flavors. Also, do you have a hydrometer? Don't think I saw that in your initial list. If not, get one, the only way you'll know that the beer is done. The airlock will tell you nothing useful.

I'll say you might have gotten lucky "dumping" everything over after you already pitched the yeast. I know you'll learn from this mistake, and only a day you were probably ok, but for future reference, try not to disturb the beer after you have pitched the yeast, adding back oxygen will give you stale flavors. Also, do you have a hydrometer? Don't think I saw that in your initial list. If not, get one, the only way you'll know that the beer is done. The airlock will tell you nothing useful.

yeah I waas going to pick one up today but most brew stores are closed mondays here for some reason haha. so tomorrow I'l be picking one up for sure. and a few more stoppers heh.

Back