Total Noob, Basic Equipment to Get Started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justaguy88

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just stumbled into this new hobby and I'm looking to get started with my first brew. I don't want to buy total crap for my equipment but I would like to keep the budget under $100, including ingredients for the first batch.

I know that I'll need a carboy or something similar, and there's one listed for sale on my local craigslist for $25. Should I snag it? What other equipment will I need, and where can I get the best deal on it? Would it be a better deal for me to just buy a kit?

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I'm sure they have been asked at some point before so I really appreciate your patience.

There is 2 hours left on this Denver GroupOn deal from Midwest Supplies. For what you're willing to spend, I think this is a good setup.

Here

(ps- you dont need to be from denver to buy it)

That MWS kit is a sweet deal, it's been floating around for a while so if you don't snag it in time it'll probably come up uinder a different groupon city.

Kits are a great way to "get it all". You shouldn't have any trouble getting most, maybe all of your stuff for under $100. Start looking now for a 5+ gallon pot and pry-off-top beer bottles.

Good luck!

I agre with jaycount. I am new to the hobby and was browsing craigslist today and found a 34-quart turkey fryer complete with outdoor propane burner for $30. The guys had used it once, and it is now my new brew pot. You can find cheap stuff out there!

Thanks for all the quick replies. It sounds like it might be easier for me to just buy a kit rather than piece something together buying a carboy on CL, etc. I will check out the recommendations in this thread.

Does anyone know of any cheap places where I can get a large pot? I don't even know where I'd begin to look for something like that, and just about all the kits I've come across don't include it.

There is 2 hours left on this Denver GroupOn deal from Midwest Supplies. For what you're willing to spend, I think this is a good setup.

Here

(ps- you dont need to be from denver to buy it)

I tried clicking on that link but it keeps failing. I went to Denver Groupon and couldn't find the kit. Nooooo. :cross:

I am a big fan of the Williams brewery kit. It has everything you need apart from a bottling wand. It could do with a strip thermometer and vinator for bottle sanitizing, but otherwise it's excellent and I highly recommend it. I cannot over emphasize how convenient having a siphonless fermenter is. This kit is also a good foundation as it will grow with you to a large extent.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com:80/COMPLETE-HOME-BREWERY-C257.aspx

Thanks for all the quick replies. It sounds like it might be easier for me to just buy a kit rather than piece something together buying a carboy on CL, etc. I will check out the recommendations in this thread.

Does anyone know of any cheap places where I can get a large pot? I don't even know where I'd begin to look for something like that, and just about all the kits I've come across don't include it.

Welcome to the forum!

In SD there are a few local shops where you can get your supplies. Depending on what part of town you are in, I would suggest HomeBrew Mart or American Homebrew. There are a couple other places, but without knowing the part of town you're in, I don't want to go through the whole list.

My first kit I got from Am HB, and my pot? Big Lots, (actually it was Pic-n-Save back then).
If you're gonna start with Extract w/grains, a nice 12-15 qt pot will do.

Awesome. I was going to go to HomeBrew Mart down here in SD (I'm in Mission Valley, BTW), but I managed to get the Groupon link to work and, after comparing it to all the other deals out there, including the ones offered at HBM, I realized that the Groupon price was unbeatable and I placed an order.

I can't wait to get my stuff. I will take a look at Big Lots and other bargain-type places like Walmart for a big cheap stainless steel pot. I've got a lot to learn, so I best be getting back to browsing the forum! lol

Used to live in Carlsbad...if you live anywhere in north county, Hydrobrew in Oceanside is your best bet. Right off the main strip, and the guys that work there are absolutely awesome.

Back