Total Acidity Test - more brain scrambling stuff!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I asked about acid titration as my test kit was running out of NaOH. Man... the response was overwhelming and brain boiling, but I eventually understood what it was all about. In reality it turns out that with most of the apples that I use, adjusting acid to get around pH 3.6 also results in TA around 6g/L, which is a good starting point. Also, just adding Malic Acid by taste works quite well.

In the meanwhile I have sourced a new test kit which comes with 0.1N instead of 0.2N NaOH, but I also flop backwards and forwards between using this, pH test strips, and a new pH meter. I now have a question about the different approaches used for testing since NaOH is almost impossible to get and very expensive here, so I want to minimise the use of NaOH as much as possible and zero in on the most "efficient" method.

We are now well into winter and over the next few weeks I plan to bottle the last of this year's cider (made in April/May) and want to get any any adjustments right, especially a new Red Delicious/Balerina blend that I haven't tried before.

- The "Jolicoeur el-chepo" method uses about 1/5 normal chemicals with a sample of 2.68ml ( 3.0ml x 0.89 to give the answer for malic rather than tartaric acid), with ml of 0.2N NaOH x 5 giving the TA in g/L.

- The new test kit (from Cellar Science) uses 5ml sample with ml of 0.1N NaOH x 1.5 to get the TA in g/L (I assume that this is for tartaric acid so it has to be reduced by 0.89 to convert into malic acid). This kit seems to use chemicals quite efficiently.

I was pondering how to do the Jolicoeur approach with 0.1N NaoH when I came across something by Andrew Lea which suggests a 6.7ml sample and ml of 0.1N NaOH x1 to get g/L of malic acid. I can't quite figure out where the 6.7 ml sample comes from.

As I said in my old post, chemistry isn't my strong point but it would be nice (but not essential) to know how the three methods relate to each other so that I can at least understand how each works and decide which way to go. Any input is welcome.

Cheers!

NaOH is almost impossible to get and very expensive here, so I want to minimise the use of NaOH [...]
You mean ready-made lab grade dilutions of 0.1N or 0.2N are expensive?
If KOH (the Potassium sister of NaOH) solutions are much more reasonable, you can use those instead. But I doubt they're any cheaper, and possibly pricier.

You really can't use pH strips with any accuracy. Even a simple, cheap pH meter will do a better job, giving you 1 decimal. Always calibrate right before use. It should be stable for a few hours.
Even if it drifts a little over those few hours, you can still get decent and meaningful readings, by using a correction factor. I can tell you how to, if you're interested.

I'm not familiar with the different approaches. Are you're titrating dropwise or adding exactly 1 ml at a time until the color changes?

I remember with my pool I had to titrate alkalinity dropwise. I counted the number of drops added to the sample (a measured volume) until it turned from red to green. Each drop added represented 10 ppm of alkalinity. I also had to kill the chlorine in the sample with a drop of "hypo" (Sodium Thiosulphate solution) beforehand.

You could make your own titration solution. Solid drain opener (tiny round pellets) is (mostly) NaOH (read the ingredients list). But it's hygroscopic so it contains some water too.
It also binds CO2 from the atmosphere producing Na2CO3 (Sodium Carbonate, aka washing soda), not sure if that would influence your test.

Or buy some from a chem supplier. Many years ago (15+) it used to be $2.50 a pound, chem grade.

You would need to be able to weigh accurately* and also do a test on purity. The test kit you have can be your reference. If it takes 6 ml with your homemade and 5 ml with the kit to flip the indicator, your NaOH is only 80% pure. So divide the result you got from your own solution by 1.2. Done!

* Small (precision) scales (0.01-100.0 gram) are $10-20 on Amazon here.

If KOH (the Potassium sister of NaOH) solutions are much more reasonable,

not sure if it's important using Normality instead of Molarity, but you'd have to keep in mind KOH is 56g a mol, with 1 hydrogen acceptor, instead of 39g a mol with 1 acceptor...when you're whipping up your solution....

not sure if it's important using Normality instead of Molarity, but you'd have to keep in mind KOH is 56g a mol, with 1 hydrogen aceotor, instead of 39g a mol with 1 acceptor...when you're whipping up your solution....
Normality is the same, 1 proton.
You just need to weigh a little more KOH vs. NaOH to make 0.1N or 0.2N solutions.

Normality is the same, 1 proton.
You just need to weigh a little more KOH vs. NaOH to make 0.1N or 0.2N solutions.

yeah, just thought i would put it on record... @Chalkyt seems to grasp mol weight, and normality, with the statement of malic acid only being .89 a mol as much as tartaric with same hydrogen donor count.

and like i said in their last thread where i finally grasped normality in the first place, i'm just being a proactive learner. and following along, love the fun journey! :mug:

I can't quite figure out where the 6.7 ml sample comes from.

you know man...now i've got to google the specific gravity of all this stuff, and maybe learn something new again from your question....

edit: so if depens the rabit hole.... malic acid has a density of 1.61g/cm2, lye 2.13g/cm2...so now instead of weight per molecule, were talking space it occupies? i think? and water is apparently .997 or easier as 1.000....

edit:

https://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/naohtble3.cgi?submit=Entry

Last edited:
i have no idea if this makes sense....but if water is 1 gram a ml, but malic is 1.6, and lye 2.1, but malic has two hydrogen doners and lye just one acceptor. then 2.1/3.2...is around 6.7ml? i'm just having fun shooting skeet here though....

I was pondering how to do the Jolicoeur approach with 0.1N NaoH when I came across something by Andrew Lea which suggests a 6.7ml sample and ml of 0.1N NaOH x1 to get g/L of malic acid. I can't quite figure out where the 6.7 ml sample comes from.
6.7 is 6/0.89 instead of x 0.89, I don't know whether Jolicoeur or Le are correct but I suspect it is Lea.

Back