TOSNA 2.0 with Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordBondemort

Reaction score
Hey all,
Big time post watcher, first time post writer [emoji847]

I'm fairly new to mead making. I've been working on getting my process down and refining it as I go. I'm following the TOSNA 2.0 model since it seems to be, IMO, the best process for healthy fast ferments.
One thing I just decided to try with my latest batch was to make a yeast starter, using a stir plate, after following the rehydration steps. Then, about 24-36hrs later, pitching the starter to the main batch and following the yeast nutrient addition and degassing schedule from there.
So far it seems to have sped up the process coming to the 1/3rd sugar break by a day or two (including the starter incubation period).

My question, since there are many more people here that are far more experienced with mead making than I am (without having the chance to try it myself yet).... does anybody think I should treat making the yeast starter as zero hour for "pitching" the yeast in terms of nutrient addition schedule or should I wait until I pitch the starter to the main batch as I've done this time?

To be more clear, if I make the starter, should I add the first addition to the starter itself at the 24 hr mark or should I wait until 24hrs after pitching the starter to the main batch?
My thought is that I should probably add the first addition to the starter and go from there since the idea is to help the colony multiple but I wasn't sure if that would be overkill or in some way detrimental to the yeast since the starter is such a tiny batch (maybe 200ml) compared to say a 5 gallon main batch where the nutrient would normally dispersed throughout.

-----------------

TL;DR: When following TOSNA 2.0 and making a yeast starter, what are your thoughts on adding the first yeast nutrient addition to the starter directly at the 24 hr mark vs waiting 24 hrs after pitching the starter to the main batch?

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I do it at pitch
24 hours
48 hours
lastly 72 hours
Degassing twice a day for 6-10 days

Most of my meads are clear within 3 weeks and at the abv I want

I do it at pitch
24 hours
48 hours
lastly 72 hours
Degassing twice a day for 6-10 days

Most of my meads are clear within 3 weeks and at the abv I want
That's exactly what I did as well. So far it's fermented 50% of the available sugars in 6 days. A small sample today didn't give any sign of off flavors.

Back