Torn between camlock vs ss qd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CentralNJBrew

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am in the final weeks of setting up my shed brewery, and have run into a mental block regarding quick disconnects. I am torn between the camlocks that I see on such sites as brewershardware, and the stainless steel qd's I see on Morebeer.

I know I want to put the male ends on my vessels/pumps/etc, and the female parts on my tubing, which will be 1/2" silicone.

I have two march pumps, and both will have the inlet facing down.

My initial snap judgement is to just pony up and get the ss qds from morebeer. I really would rather not keep flipping around the two locks you see on the camlocks.

But I do notice that the female ss qd from morebeer has a barb for the tubing to attach onto. If I remember correctly, 1/2" tubing will fit on nice, but the ID is only 3/8". At the same time, I see these camlocks with their 'high flow' capabilities.

If I'm only brewing 5 gallon batches, and I dont care if it takes me 5 minutes extra, does that justify going the stainless steel route, with its most likely lower flow rate?

Im more concerned with my pumps however. Will a lower flow rate make cavitation a more prominent issue for me?

If so, I'm going camlocks.

Also, are there any other issues with a lower flow rate that I am not thinking of?

Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I switched to camlocks about six months ago and wish I would've done it sooner. They are so easy to use and you always get a good connection. Spend a little extra and get camlocks.

+1 for cammys. . . . reliable, easy to clean. Also +1 for Bobby's. Along with camlock fittings, he sells a 90° elbow with the threads lathed smooth. Specifically tailored for 1/2" silicone tubing and a stainless clamp. Nice touch.
P

Camlocks. I have never used QD's but I can't imagine them not getting full of crusty wort. I wouldn't be worried about them leaking like when used in higher psi hobbies (air compressor), but I have never been a huge fan so I opted for camlocks and am super happy I did.

I used high flow female ends on the hoses and simply used zip ties to hold them in place. Not one issue since I built it this winter and ran 35 gallons through it without issues.

One thing I like about QDs is being able to use one hand to connect/disconnect. Can you so that with camlocks? I find that I rely on that function every time I brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One thing I like about QDs is being able to use one hand to connect/disconnect. Can you so that with camlocks? I find that I rely on that function every time I brew.

That's the only plus IMO. I can usually do a camlock with one hand if I try, but also it's never really needed. :shrug:

With practice, you can do it with one hand. The external locking levers on the camlocks stay cool which makes moving them pretty easy. As opposed to the QDs, which get really hot and require you to grab them to release.

I have no problem connecting and disconnecting my camlocks with one hand. My system is set up backwards from most that I see in that I have the male cams on the hoses and the females on my kettles and pump. I just push the male cam into the female and lock it into place with one hand. I had qd's before and it was always a pain connecting them.

I have no problem connecting and disconnecting my camlocks with one hand. My system is set up backwards from most that I see in that I have the male cams on the hoses and the females on my kettles and pump. I just push the male cam into the female and lock it into place with one hand. I had qd's before and it was always a pain connecting them.
I thought about that, but my keggles already had the male camlocks on them. Good to know if I ever change up the system for some reason.

I work offshore in the oilfield and deal with pumps on a daily basis. That being said, we have camlocks for as much as possible. As Dar as the cavitation, you don't want to restrict your inlet on any pump and this is why most industrial pumps have a larger input than out. If you did go the qd way I would absolutely have a valve on the output of your pump, but I'd probably do it for the camlock as well

NateLB - what inspired you to setup the system "backwards"? Do you have any clearance issues with the females attached to the kettle or cooler valves?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

NateLB - what inspired you to setup the system "backwards"? Do you have any clearance issues with the females attached to the kettle or cooler valves?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

To me it just seemed easier to install it how I did it. I work for an industrial & plumbing wholesaler and have seen a lot of different set-ups. I notice a lot of the local mill guys try to have their female cams mounted in tanks or on the their trucks when they have the choice.

I have had no clearance issues at all with the cam-lock arms and I can make connections with one hand.

I'm also extremely clumsy so I figured if I had the female ends on my hoses it would only be a matter of time before I dropped one and broke an arm off.

Three reasons I can think of to not put the males on the hose, but none of them are deal breakers alone.

1. The sealing surface is the face of the male part, dropping it on the concrete a few times may put a ding in it that will leak eventually.
2. The rings on the female arms make a neat way of hanging the hoses upright to drip dry.
3. The male parts are cheaper and you'll have more "ports" on a given system than hose ends.

If I saw this thread earlier I would have suggested you could come to the shop and mess around with both camlocks and QDs to decide before you buy.

Three reasons I can think of to not put the males on the hose, but none of them are deal breakers alone.

1. The sealing surface is the face of the male part, dropping it on the concrete a few times may put a ding in it that will leak eventually.
2. The rings on the female arms make a neat way of hanging the hoses upright to drip dry.
3. The male parts are cheaper and you'll have more "ports" on a given system than hose ends.

If I saw this thread earlier I would have suggested you could come to the shop and mess around with both camlocks and QDs to decide before you buy.

Thanks Bobby! That was quite informative.

Camlocks use silicone gaskets. I've used the same ones for almost 4 years without needing to replace them. The gaskets should be included when you order.

Kinda old topic, but I'll contribute anyway. I've had both the QDs and the camlocks on my system. I really prefer the QDs, except for one very big problem, which is also why I don't use them anymore.

The inside diameter on the QDs is just too dam small. This resulted in a lot of frustration as I unclogged them while pumping. It's a deal breaker for me. I would consider 3/4" QDs if they are out there, but I imagine they'd be expensive.

Otherwise, the QDs are super-convenient to use. You can one-hand them, and you don't have to deal with those camlock wings getting caught on stuff.

I now have Bobby's camlocks on everything. No blockages ever. I'm happy.

Back