torn between a 10 gallon or 15 gallon kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
I really like the new northern brewee tall boy kettles .I currently do concentrated extract batches but im going to buy a bigger kettle to do full 5 gallon boils .Also I will eventually get into all grain 5 gallon batches but maybe 10 gallon batches (which are more common?) Should i buy a 10 gallon kettle or a 15 gallon kettle.If I buy a 15 gallon and only ever do 5 gallon batches is a 15 gallon kettle overkill?

15 all the way and dont look back. Ive never done more than a 5 gallon batch and love my 15. less boil over risk can do full 120 min boils if needed for massive beers, those will set you at almost 10 gallons pre boil volume. for the price difference its not worth going with a 10 gallon pot even if you never plan on doing 10 gallon batches. and if you get asked to brew beer for a wedding or something idk, cant hurt to have the capacity to do them.

I would go 15 gallon. I had a similar dilemna and it really came down to economics.

The price difference between the two kettles was only roughly $75 or so. Now that might seem like a lot, but if you have a boil over or if you are wanting to upgrade to larger batches, that $75 will look dirt cheap when you're staring down paying upwards of $200+ for a new kettle.

If you can swing the extra cost, I'd always advise going with the biggest you can accommodate and afford. You never know what the future holds.

15 all the way and dont look back. Ive never done more than a 5 gallon batch and love my 15. Less boil over risk can do full 120 min boils if needed for massive beers, those will set you at almost 10 gallons pre boil volume. For the price difference its not worth going with a 10 gallon pot even if you never plan on doing 10 gallon batches. And if you get asked to brew beer for a wedding or something idk, cant hurt to have the capacity to do them.

+1

I've got 15 gallon kettles and I wish I had 30 instead. You'll always want bigger at some point. Start off bigger than you need right now

I usually have about 7 gal. pre-boil and have a 10 gal. pot. This works fine but I do have to kick it down a notch for a few seconds when adding hops to prevent boil over.
Another vote for the 15 gal. as long as you're shopping.

Even my 15.5 gallon Keggle, gets pushed to it's limit for 11 gallon batches. If you think you will be doing 10-11 gallon batches in the future, then go with 17 - 20 gallon minimum. Or get a 10 gallon for now, and then use that for your HLT in the future, and get a 17 - 20 gallon at that point.

15 - For the price difference and size, you will kick yourself everyday you brew if you don’t get the 15.

I also like the tall boys (keep in mind I don’t own one / but Christmas is coming), and the 15gal has the best height to width.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. However, I'm leaning towards a 10 gal kettle, instead of 15g, because of equipment/ingredient cost. If I were to start doing 10 gal batches, but I would need to upgrade a lot of my equipment. For example, I'd need to buy a larger chiller, a larger fermentation vessel, and a bigger ferm chamber. With 10 gal batches, I would also want bulk grain, a grain mill, and a pump. That's a large amount of spending money, I don't have at the moment, which is why I'm going to get a 10g kettle and stick to 5 and 6 gallon batches.

We are talking a 40 dollar difference right now. - it may seem a bit much to some, but let’s say you brew with a friend one day and want to split a batch. - Also two 5 gal frementors equal 10 gallons. So let say you got a recipe you like allot and go thru quickly and you would like to brew 10 gallons of it one day for a party or something.

I have been brewing for quite some time and I am just saying 40 does not seem like a whole lot to me now. - Because if I want a bigger pot than my 10Gal which I have now, I will have to spend 149 not 40. -

As far as boil over’s I have had it happen one time out of 8 years of brewing. - If you plan to do IPA go 15 for boil over reason - the more first addition hops you add the bigger the foam up, If you plan to do 90 or 120 min boils for bigger beers (higher ABV or more bitter) - go 15 because you will start with more wort to account for boil off.

Can you brew 5 gal batches in a 15 gall pot - yes all day long! - Any size or type of beer, and it can allow you to even do bigger stronger and crazier beers at 5 gal.

Nice i think I'm going for 15 since I can do 5 gallon in it and when ready for a 10 gallon batch I have a kettle that can handle it now I know I want the valve in it but torn on the built in thermometer I have read that on 5 gallon batches it might be a little high on the location where it sits

I vote get a concord pot and drill your own holes, and get a valve and sightglass / thermometer port from brew hardware or bargain fittings. can do all that shipped for ~150 without issues. Then you get to choose the placement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Polishe...60670823?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item1e7ddd4067

This is my pot its amazing super heavy duty and < $100 shipped for the 60qt.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420WMUU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Valve bulkhead kit free shipping if you have prime, if you dont you should < 30$ shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I get 15 gallon kettle and do the 5 gallon batches to I have to compensate for more evaporation due to extra space in kettle?

Ya 15 or you'll regret it. I have a 20 blichmann boilermaker and the only thing that sucks is the thermometer is too high for 5gallon batches. But doing 10 gallon batches is way better anyway... Even thought about doing 15 for some beers.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. However, I'm leaning towards a 10 gal kettle, instead of 15g, because of equipment/ingredient cost. If I were to start doing 10 gal batches, but I would need to upgrade a lot of my equipment. For example, I'd need to buy a larger chiller, a larger fermentation vessel, and a bigger ferm chamber. With 10 gal batches, I would also want bulk grain, a grain mill, and a pump. That's a large amount of spending money, I don't have at the moment, which is why I'm going to get a 10g kettle and stick to 5 and 6 gallon batches.

You'd maybe need a bigger chiller if you use an immersion chiller, I guess. I don't use them, so I don't know.

You wouldn't necessarily need a bigger singular fermentation vessel, just more of them. Fermentation chambers can be expanded for pretty cheap. Unless you're one a them fancy lads that uses only conical fermentation vessels.

If you brew regularly, you can benefit from bulk grain purchases now, so why wait?

I do 5 g all grain now. I was very happy with my 7+gallon turkey fryer. Then, on an urge.. went out and bought a 10g Blingman Boilermaker with false bottom. Why? Just a lark. Did/do I need it? Heck no. Everyone will tell you to go bigger. If you never plan to do more than 5 gallons.. a 10g pot is way more than enough. Is a 10 easier than a 7? Yes. Will a 10 pot boil over? Yes. But, with care, neither will boil over on the initial boil. Now, I seldom brew 5g at a time and here I have this Boilermaker that I'm considering selling. I mostly now do 2.5-3 gallon batches or 1.5g stovetop boils.

What does it boil down to? Small batches or larger ones? Only you can answer that question. And YES, you will get a LOT more boil off/evaporation with the large diameter pots. That is a big consideration. That's why the turkey fryer pots work so well for me.

I've had my 15 gallon pot for two years and I have never brewed anything but 5 gallon batches. Last week, I met a new homebrewer who asked if we could split a batch. I suggested trying 10 gallons. It was great. Will I brew more 10 gallons? Probably. Will I brew more 5 gallon batches? Probably. It's just great having the options and like someone else said--it'll cost you a lot more to replace the kettle that you've outgrown than the difference it'll cost you now. As far as evaporation--most of the time bigger pots tend to be taller rather than wider. Therefore, not much difference in evaporation. Remember, everybody's system is different. Besides, evaporation means you are losing a little water but increasing ABV.

I'd go 15 gallons, no questions asked. You'll appreciate the easy increase to do 10 gallon batches.

I do full water volume BIAB 5 gallon batches, no sparge. I had originally bought a 10 gallon and was starting off mashing at the rim. Sold it, bought a 15 gallon and love it. Should have bought the 15 gallon first.

Make sure you get a 3 ply bottom!!!!

Nice i think I'm going for 15 since I can do 5 gallon in it and when ready for a 10 gallon batch I have a kettle that can handle it now I know I want the valve in it but torn on the built in thermometer I have read that on 5 gallon batches it might be a little high on the location where it sits

On the tall boy I would drill your own holes, it may seem scary and risky - but I did it and I will tell you I am pleased and have a since of accomplishment. Use a simple Amazon drill bit and the only bulk head I would recommend on it is from brewer&#8217;s hardware. - The following is what I used,

Also I would and do not use those kettle thermometers, don&#8217;t like them. (Personal preference) I use the following and leave the wire in the kettle, I get very accurate readings, and the cost of a bulk head and thermometers is about the same, and one less hole in my kettle. - that and you can throw the wire in your mash tun when you get one, and if it is a water cooler it will fit with the lid on or make a small hole in the lid of the cooler. ( OH AND ITS DIGITAL - I think thats cool )And if you need to justify the price to the wife &#8230; like I do &#8211; then you can add a pen attachment to it and use it in the kitchen to cook&#8230;. Sometimes I am so smart it hurts. LOL

Have fun brewing my friend, and chose your style, this is just my style

PTFE/FEP Tip Probes
Model: 113-372/373/375-T
Use in dishwashers, freezers or anywhere a waterproof thermocouple is useful
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html

this is the hand held device
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

bulk head
http://www.brewershardware.com/Weldless-Bulkhead-1-2-MPT-X-1-2-FPT.html

step bit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FZ2UOY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
15 all the way and dont look back. Ive never done more than a 5 gallon batch and love my 15. Less boil over risk can do full 120 min boils if needed for massive beers, those will set you at almost 10 gallons pre boil volume. For the price difference its not worth going with a 10 gallon pot even if you never plan on doing 10 gallon batches. And if you get asked to brew beer for a wedding or something idk, cant hurt to have the capacity to do them.

+1

I went with 10, thinking I was doing good when I first started. A little over a year later, I am wishing I'd have went ahead and done 15. When you are first starting out, you wonder, "What the hell would I ever need a 15 gallon pot for, then, once you get into it, you realize how handy it would have been to have the extra 5.

I bought the 10 gallon Tall Boy from NB. It's a fantastic kettle for 5 gallons batches. They are heavy even when empty so you will need a valve if you go 15 gallons. The 10 gallon with 7 gallons if wort was pretty heavy to hall around and dump in the fermenter(6 gallons in the fermenter after boil).

I highly recommend these kettles! I got the dark star burner free with the kettle, promotional offer, they go together perfect!

@kbowman to you have built in thermometer for your 15 gallon kettle?

Sorry, just saw this. I have 2 15 gallon Bayou Classic pots. HLT has thermometer, boil kettle does not. I know what boiling looks like.:cross:

Latest posts

Back