Toppling Goliath Mornin' Delight clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Had this this weekend at Hunahpu Day. Want to make it, or something close badly. Anyone have any clue on it? 12.8% Imperial Stout. Definitely tasted pecan, tons of coffee, chocolate, maple, and the rest was just awesome juice!

(Hunahpu Day was a mess)

Not to derail your quest for this clone recipe, but I checked out an article on the event and it does sound pretty bad. I disagree with a comment made in the article: "It appears success has killed one of the most successful events of Tampa Bay Beer Week..." It sounds like scalpers, counterfeit tickets, and a garbage crowd killed it.

Not to derail your quest for this clone recipe, but I checked out an article on the event and it does sound pretty bad. I disagree with a comment made in the article: "It appears success has killed one of the most successful events of Tampa Bay Beer Week..." It sounds like scalpers, counterfeit tickets, and a garbage crowd killed it.

Exactly

The brewer says it takes like 30 hours to brew. Not really sure what it entails but that's a serious brew day. They've got some in the fermenter as we speak.

I've been interested in brewing something like this too. The whole thing seems like a mystery. When does the maple syrup get added? Minimal time in secondary along with coffee? What kind of syrup?

I think a recipe for a stout shouldn't be too hard. But 30 hour boil?! What does that translate to a homebrew recipe?

I've been interested in brewing something like this too. The whole thing seems like a mystery. When does the maple syrup get added? Minimal time in secondary along with coffee? What kind of syrup?

I think a recipe for a stout shouldn't be too hard. But 30 hour boil?! What does that translate to a homebrew recipe?

The boil isn't what takes 30 hours. I had the same sample on Hoonie day 14' and I could tell it was a big, no sparge imperial stout. The 30 hours is how long it takes them to get their final volume in whatever size fermenter they're using. I remember watching a video where they interviewed one of the brewers and got a tour of the system. On a system of that size, they would have to brew 4 or 5 batches to fill the fermenter more than likely. A beer like this would need quite a long boil as well (2.5 to 3 hours perhaps). The one thing that is keeping me from dropping the $ on a clone of this beer is how they got the maple flavor in. It's the only beer I've had with maple where you could actually taste the maple flavors. Maple Syrup would be risky because to get the intense maple flavor that delight has, you would need a ton. Only problem with that is, maple syrup is basically sugar....lots of it. This throws a big wrench into a lot of angles of attack when trying to get that end result. I've talked to a lot of great homebrewers and professional brewers about maple flavor in beer. They all have a different answer :/. I've cloned Zhu but this is next on my hit list. Just have to figure out the maple.

Back