Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivercity_homebrew

Reaction score
Stopped at Toppling Goliath over the weekend and had both pseudoSue and Golden Nugget. I absolutely love both. There is already and extensive thread about cloning Sue, but I can't find much on cloning Golden Nugget.

Malt should be pretty easy, the recipe says it is a Golden Promise malt. I will probably stick with something close to the malt bill in the pseudoSue thread- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/toppling-goliath-pseudosue-can-you-clone-443295/

I'm really not sure what hops to use. The Toppling Goliath comments state that it is not a single hop beer featuring Nugget. They use a variety of 5 different American hops. Below are my thoughts:
1- Obviously one of the hops is Nugget.
2- I'm guessing that they might also use Citra (based on its heavy use in Sue and the "tropical flavors" the website references).
3-Centennial and Cascade seem like logical options as well given availability and cost.
4- I'm not sure if Amarillo is included. They don't seem to use it in any other beers.
5- Other hops they reference in single hop/combination beers include- Galaxy, Warrior, and Mosaic.

As far as hopping schedule- I imagine it is similar to the Sue schedule- all late additions, massive whirlpool and massive dry hop.

Any suggestion are welcome. I have a couple of bottles from my stop at TG. I will post more after I have been able to evaluate some.

I did a batch thus spring that was golden promise with a hint c10 and all nugget (bitter, flame out and dry hop) . Definitely did not clone.

What was missing/different? I'm guessing there wasn't the citrus/tropical flavors that the C hops would bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I drank one last night. Based on TG's other beers (specifically the single hopped varieties), I am thinking:
-Bittered with Warrior
-Flavor /Aroma is Nugget, Citra, Mosaic.
-Still missing the last hop, maybe cascade or centennial?

Thoughts?

Here is what I have come up with so far. As I posted earlier, it is largely based on the Sue clone.

11 lbs Golden Promise
12 oz C10

15 Minute Hop Additions:
.5 oz Warrior
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Citra

5 Minute Additions
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Citra

Whirlpool for 30 min at 180
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Citra
.5 oz Mosaic
.5 oz Cascade

Dry Hop for 7 days- same hops as whirlpool

Ferment with 1056

Stats-
OG- 1.063
IBUS- 64

If I remember correctly, the five hops are Warrior (or Magnum) for bittering, Nugget, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade. I don't know times or amounts, but it might give you something to work with.

Good luck!

Ok- Changing it up based on the updated hop information. Thoughts?

11 lbs Golden Promise
12 oz C10

15 Minute Hop Additions:
.5 oz Warrior
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Cascade

5 Minute Additions
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Cascade

Whirlpool for 30 min at 180
.5 oz Nugget
.5 oz Cascade
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Simcoe

Dry Hop for 7 days- same hops as whirlpool

Ferment with 1056

Stats-
OG- 1.063
IBUS- 64

I think Nugget is more of a "traditional" IPA in that there is a 60 minute addition. I would get about 40 IBUs from the Warrior at 60 then the remaining IBUs from Nugget at 10 to 5 minutes. Whirlpool with Nugget, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade and dry hop with the same. Don't be shy with the whirlpool and dry hop. 1 oz per hop per addition is not too much.

Good to see you guys working on this. I'm going to try something similar to this this weekend using my home grown Nugget and Cascade. I am thinking maybe a little Nelson at flameout and/or dry hop in addition to Citra. Golden Nugget seem to have something similar in it, but it may just be the Citra.

:mad:
I'm really upset with TG's decision to cut keg distribution in our area in order to feed their bottling demand. IMO the best Golden Nugget IPA I've had was fresh from the keg and still cloudy with hops. Once it clears it is not nearly as good. Haven't had it from a bottle, but I doubt it will be the same especially if they filter it.

:D So.. Screw em! I will make my own. My home brew beats anything I can find on tap here now.

So I reworked this recipe, but haven't had a chance to post it until now. This is my reworking of the hop schedule:

.5 oz Warrior @ 60 min
.5 oz Nugget @ 15 min and 5 min

Whirlpool and Dry Hop
1oz each of Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade and Nugget

I will probably split the dry hop into ½ for 7 days and ½ for 3 days.

I'm getting a bag of Golden Promise malt, so I will probably brew this in late October. I scored a ½ lb of Mosaic and I'm brewing a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMASH first.

So I reworked this recipe, but haven't had a chance to post it until now. This is my reworking of the hop schedule:

.5 oz Warrior @ 60 min
.5 oz Nugget @ 15 min and 5 min

Whirlpool and Dry Hop
1oz each of Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade and Nugget

I will probably split the dry hop into ½ for 7 days and ½ for 3 days.

I'm getting a bag of Golden Promise malt, so I will probably brew this in late October. I scored a ½ lb of Mosaic and I'm brewing a Golden Promise/Mosaic SMASH first.

Had this for the first time the other day. Just wondering how this turned out?

has anyone tried to brew this with the updated recipe yet? I picked up a bottle of this yesterday, and would like to do a side by side at some point

has anyone tried to brew this with the updated recipe yet? I picked up a bottle of this yesterday, and would like to do a side by side at some point

I've been subbed to this for over a month with no repsonse. Guess one of us will need to brew it :mug:

I have a Smoked porter on deck. This may have to be my next one

I brewed this recipe finally at the end of December. Went in the keg a couple of weeks ago and I am starting to drink it. It is good, but I don't have any Golden Nugget to compare it to.

I will post again after I have had some people sample it.

For what it is worth- my first impression is that it definitely needs some work to dial it in.

Definitely not as close as the pseudoSue clone.

Back