Top cropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
I am making a cider with Opshaug Kveik, and needed to use a blow off tube (again). This time, I ran the tube into a jar using fresh juice rather than water, and I am thinking of pouring that straight onto another cider that I am starting this afternoon. Although I may just do a gallon to see if/how it works. The jar is already bubbling so I just set the lid on top of the jar, and put it in the fridge. Any thoughts on this?

The jar also contains any number of wild microbes. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but should be taken into consideration. Otherwise I don't see a problem using it.

I pitched some of the top cropped and dried opshaug kveik last night, and shortly after I pitched it, foamy bubbles formed where the flakes landed, and at 4:30 this morning, the airlock was bubbling happily. Looks like I got a viable batch. I have a jar of bottom cropped in slurry form that I may dry as well. I am curious to see how well the top cropped flocculates; there is the notion that the top cropped yeast tends to stay in suspension rather than drop... wonder if that holds true across the board.

I may add voss to this batch as well. I have been co-fermenting with the two of them with the idea that a new strain might develop over time. I need to get some slides for my microscope so I can see whats going on in that tiny Saccharomyces universe, although my untrained eye probably won't know what to look for...

Back