Top/Bottom honey suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sniktaw

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bottled my first mead and am itching to make more. I just order 12 lbs of orange blossom honey from the Bee Folks and the process of locating a supplier showed there were a lot of options out there. So my questions are:

1. What places have you ordered from and had either positive or negative experiences? The experiences can be related to the honey itself, the supplier, or whatever, the main idea is just getting a feel for the places the community favors or shuns.

2. What varietals have you tried and what was the experience like?

Thank you for taking the time to help with this.

This place is about 10 minutes from home for me, so they obviously get all my business:

Dutch Gold

They're one of the big ones in the country, so I'm sure there are others that use them.

I have no reason to compare and contrast suppliers, simply because I will always use Dutch Gold, because of location alone.

Thanks, I've definitely considered Dutch Gold because of their prices. Do you like their product as well or is it mostly because they are local to you?

Costco sells Kirkland Honey 5lbs (clover) and since I add fruits to my mead, I don't really need fancy honey. There was some noise that not all that is marketed as honey is really 100% honey. So before buying do some research. Costko Honey (Kirkland brand is honey the best i can tell :) Have to go to kostko, amazon prime sells them for $22-24 pier 5 lbs (including shipping, can probably get $18 pier 5 lbs at kostko, really have to go there to find out). Dutch Gold link is a little bit cheaper then amazon (given that I have Amazon prime).

Been happy with Glory Bee for the number of varieties. Downside is they've often arrived crystallized, but the flavors are fairly good. Shipping is high, but they sell in bulk, and often offer coupons. Overall, price is decent (in bulk), at about $5-6 a pound plus shipping.

Really don't like using clover honeys, but can second that when I need just an average, plain jane honey, Dutch Gold is good.

Costco sells Kirkland Honey 5lbs (clover) and since I add fruits to my mead, I don't really need fancy honey. There was some noise that not all that is marketed as honey is really 100% honey. So before buying do some research. Costko Honey (Kirkland brand is honey the best i can tell :) Have to go to kostko, amazon prime sells them for $22-24 pier 5 lbs (including shipping, can probably get $18 pier 5 lbs at kostko, really have to go there to find out). Dutch Gold link is a little bit cheaper then amazon (given that I have Amazon prime).

If it says 100% honey or all natural honey then in th United States it is what it says. There was some honey coming from china (largest honey producer in the world) that was being cut with corn syrup. It was sold for about 1 month until it was caught and that honey was banned by the FDA for improper labeling, not having and ingredients list since it was not pure honey. If you buy hony from a local apiary you are normally good unless you know some shady people. I had to be vetted by other bee keepers to obtain a seal/stamp to place on my honey for selling. With that seal I get my honey inspected annually for proper water content and that I am selling what I say I am. Since I sell from my house this is one of the few ways it actually gets inspected so as a local apiary it means a lot to have that seal, but it isn't required to sell honey. Anyways dont let those stories about the bad honey scare you. The biggest difference between my honey and store honey other than I cant legally pay slave wages is that they pasturize it and kill off most of the beneficial properties of the honey. Anytime it is heated over 119deg F this happens and you turn good honey into store bought junk. Good luck. ;)

Thanks, I've definitely considered Dutch Gold because of their prices. Do you like their product as well or is it mostly because they are local to you?

I'm very satisfied with their products. Absolutely zero complaints from me.

If your in Tenn. I am really happy with Tenn Mountains Dark Wildflower honey .... the one out of Del Rio Tx and NOT kingsport

I just got 6 5lb jars of Kirkland honey from Costko for about $82, it was 13 and change on the sign.

Since I am adding fruit, clover honey is fine I guess..

Back