Top 50 beer list...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When can you take the huffington post seriously?:confused:

Its a decent list, you can tell he's not a lager fan, I do like THA being #2 and being in front of Hopslam. No Goose Island Belgian Beers or Ommegang stuff? And only two Belgian beers are on there a Sour and a Kierk? The list is more like my favorite hoppy beers list.

This is the list from the AHA that was printed in Zymurgy.

I've noticed that zero Southern brews appear in the top 50. No Sweetwater (make the best commercial IPA I've tried), Terrapin (Their Rye PA is immaculate), Highland, Yazoo, French Broad, etc. Lots of good beers being left out, but I think it was done on reader voting so I can't complain. Every beer on that list is pretty damn good.

This is the list from the AHA that was printed in Zymurgy.

I've noticed that zero Southern brews appear in the top 50. No Sweetwater (make the best commercial IPA I've tried), Terrapin (Their Rye PA is immaculate), Highland, Yazoo, French Broad, etc. Lots of good beers being left out, but I think it was done on reader voting so I can't complain. Every beer on that list is pretty damn good.

My thoughts were along the sames lines... the list just feels very regional for sure.

The reader base for Zymurgy (read: the AHA membership) must be regional. Lots of Northeast, Midwest and California/Pacific NW.

Oh yeah!!!! Honestly tho, I grew up and live in the Midwest, but have lived in houston, Dallas, las Vegas and Vancouver, bc..... I drink alot of beer and really wasn't impressed with the southern micros at all. The Midwest, northeast and northwest are full of good breweries. I think the best southern brewery is boulevard, and they made the zymurgy list.

I wish it was my job to make lists like these. It would be great because it wouldn't take much work at all, seeing at the only purpose for a list like this is to create a stir. And it worked.

We could all make a list like this and everyone would still be pissed and the other lists.

I finally had Pliny the Elder when I was at NHC in San Diego. Meh. Ballast Point Sculpin is a much better beer IMO.

Oh yeah!!!! Honestly tho, I grew up and live in the Midwest, but have lived in houston, Dallas, las Vegas and Vancouver, bc..... I drink alot of beer and really wasn't impressed with the southern micros at all. The Midwest, northeast and northwest are full of good breweries. I think the best southern brewery is boulevard, and they made the zymurgy list.

Boulevard is actually Kansas City I believe, maybe St. Louis. More Midwest-y.

There are great beers being made in the South, but the beer culture here does lag behind the rest of the country (Reconstruction, Carpetbaggers, etc.). However, breweries like Terrapin (Athens, GA), Sweetwater (Atlanta, GA), Yazoo (Nashville, TN) and Highland (Asheville, NC) are putting out great stuff. One of the most well crafted beers I've ever had is a Rye Pale Ale from Terrapin. Asheville, NC has a booming beer scene as well and has got to be one of the most craft-brew friendly cities in the nation.

Could be another Deschutes on there. All three of those Stones are deserving of they're place on the list.

Boulevard is actually Kansas City I believe, maybe St. Louis. More Midwest-y.

KC. think that's technically the south.

Good beer tho. Much better than some of the widely available micros like st. Arnold, shiner rahr or abita. Those are the ones that get around and sorry to say, but I've had very few good offerings from some of those breweries (turbodog aside). My opinion only, but I think there's alot more great beer coming out of the pacific northwest and places like Pennsylvania and so cal than there are coming out of say Florida or tx. The good beers one can get easily (Pliny excluded) seem to be the ones that topped that list.

Consider it a must try list for 50 great beers. Opinions are like....well, you know... :D

KC. think that's technically the south.

Good beer tho. Much better than some of the widely available micros like st. Arnold, shiner rahr or abita. Those are the ones that get around and sorry to say, but I've had very few good offerings from some of those breweries (turbodog aside). My opinion only, but I think there's alot more great beer coming out of the pacific northwest and places like Pennsylvania and so cal than there are coming out of say Florida or tx. The good beers one can get easily (Pliny excluded) seem to be the ones that topped that list.

Abita makes excellent beers. Unfortunately, the ones that get distributed (Turbo Dog and Purple Haze) are the poorer side of their offerings. Restoration Ale is a classic.

I would submit Bluegrass Brewing Company's Bourbon Barrel Stout. I'm kind of surprised it didn't make the list. I used to live in KY, but moved to VA and it has a huge cult following here.

Suprised that Sam Adam's Boston Lager made it, less suprised that Noble Pils made it. Both are great beers, but most of us see ourselves as "beer hipsters" and those fall very close to the mainstream.

I would submit Bluegrass Brewing Company's Bourbon Barrel Stout. I'm kind of surprised it didn't make the list. I used to live in KY, but moved to VA and it has a huge cult following here.

Another Southern Brewery. FTW.

I can't in good faith call Kansas City the South. Feels weird,

bh10 said:
When can you take the huffington post seriously?:confused:

Its a decent list, you can tell he's not a lager fan, I do like THA being #2 and being in front of Hopslam. No Goose Island Belgian Beers or Ommegang stuff? And only two Belgian beers are on there a Sour and a Kierk? The list is more like my favorite hoppy beers list.

Goose island #13
Ommegang # 29

Without looking at the list, I'm guessing that it has the higher ABV beers at the top and works down in descending order of ABV. Someone please tell me if I was right or wrong. I really can't be bothered to read these lists myself. :drunk:

Without looking at the list, I'm guessing that it has the higher ABV beers at the top and works down in descending order of ABV. Someone please tell me if I was right or wrong. I really can't be bothered to read these lists myself. :drunk:

def not

It has Decshutes abyss tied at #20 with Sam Adams Noble Pils

Thanks to the Great American Beer Festival, South Bay Drugs, Total Wine, and a SWMBO that also enjoys beer, I've had the pleasure of trying about 90% of the top 100 beers according to Zymurgy (had mine for a week now). It's a great time to be alive!

That Goose Island isnt a Belgian beer, Missed the Ommegang, but there's better stuff than the Three Philosophers of there's IMO.

yeah, ommegang makes some awesome stuff....

but three philosophers is an awesome beer. also, it's a mass-submitted list; something like Rare Vos just isn't the type of beer that'll make that type of list

Back