Too smooth, too round?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently tried to brew the Zombie Dust clone refined by SkeezerPleezer et al. on this thread.

LHBS didn't have the required Grain for the specified grist, so I made the following subs: subbed Victory for Melanoidin, subbed Carapils for Carafoam, and subbed 1.44 of MO in for some of the 2-row b/c they ran out. So the final recipe:

Single infusion, batch sparge @ 152 deg F
Anticipated OG: 1.068
8.06# 2-Row
2.57 # Munich
1.44 # Maris Otter
0.5 # Carapils
0.5 # Crystal 60
0.5# Victory
0.75 oz 13.6% Citra FWH
1.25 oz 13.6% Citra 15 min
1.25 oz 13.6% Citra 10 min
1.25 oz 13.6% Citra 5 min
1.25 oz 13.6% Citra 1 min
3.0 oz 13.6% Citra dry hop
Safale US-04 Dry Yeast

Fermentation took off faster than any beer I've ever made (never used the US-04 before) and the krausen dropped after 4 days. Added dry hops after 9 days and bottled after 16 total days in primary. A bit fast, yes.

OG was higher than expected (1.072) (extremely fine crush at LHBS upped my usual efficiency) and FG was 1.018 (a bit higher than anticipated).

I tasted one last night after 2 weeks in the bottle and here are my notes:
- Looks like apple cider in color and turbidity.
- Aroma is pineapple, mango, ripe tropical fruits, not much citrus
- Very smooth and "round" tasting, almost too much so.
- Malt flavors are mild and the main contribution is a mild sweetness
- A bit hot, alcohol definitely detectable
- Hop bite comes late and lingers on the back of the mouth with alcohol heat
- Carbonation a bit weak and coarse

So, my main question here is what would contribute to smoothness and "roundness" of flavor that I experienced with this beer? It's almost too smooth/round and it kind of tricks the palette into experiencing a sweetness almost. I usually use bottled spring water for brewing, but this time I used half spring water and half tap water that sat sat open for a week to allow the chlorine to be driven off (city water).

I forgot to add Irish Moss during the brew and this beer is by far the most turbid brew I've produced. I know it will continue to clear with time, but I wonder if the high amount of suspended material is contributing to the mouthfeel; enhancing the roundness/smoothness and obscuring the abrasive hop bite. It's also carbing a bit slower than usual for me, and I wonder if a finer carbonation will increase the perceived abrasiveness and enhance the mouthfeel.

Anyway, it tastes pretty good and I'm sure that it will taste even better in two more weeks, but I wanted to start thinking about recipe adjustments.

Well you've got 1# of Crystal in there along with 2.5# of Munich, and with a final G of 1.018 I guess I'm not shocked that it's coming across a little sweet. Might be a water chemistry thing to. Too much calcium chloride and not enough gypsum (over simplification). Carbonation being low would definitely cause this flavor profile too, so that might be it as well.

Thanks, ghpeel. I'm definitely not shocked that it's a tad sweet, as you pointed out, there's a good bit of caramelized malts in there. I'm hoping that better carbonation puts a bit more "pop" in this one.

Cheers!

Back