Too much wort from my new 10 gal kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uSlackr

Gaughan Brewing... gone brewin'
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son & I are 6 months into brewing. We recently added a 10 gal kettle and brewed a farmhouse ale today. I over estimated the boil loss and started with 6.5 gal of water. When we were done, we had 5.5 gallons of wort. As expected the OG was about .01 low. Too fix it, we pulled off two gallons of wort, boiled it vigorously for 30 mins and added it back (cooled of course). The result was only .002 low.

I suspect I lost a bit of the expected hop aroma given the extra boil time. What else can I expect? We're there other options?

Thanks.

\\uSlackr

Personally, I shoot to get 5.5 gallons into the fermenter. That way, after losses to trub and transferring, I have 5 gallons of finished beer to keg/bottle.

The easiest thing to do to compensate for the lower OG is to add extract to reach the desired gravity.

Alternatively, you could boil longer, but then you're alterating the timing of the hopping additions which will effect the hop flavor and bittering. At the same time reducing the finished volume.

You can also just roll with the gravity. It won't impact the beer as much as you would think. Obviously less alcohol but that isn't the end of the world.

I do the same as Pie Man, all my recipes are formulated around 5.5 gal and then I end up with 5 in the keg. Also agree with PM on adding extract if you are doing an extract batch.

two_one_seven said:
You can also just roll with the gravity. It won't impact the beer as much as you would think. Obviously less alcohol but that isn't the end of the world.

I do the same as Pie Man, all my recipes are formulated around 5.5 gal and then I end up with 5 in the keg. Also agree with PM on adding extract if you are doing an extract batch.

Thanks guys. One chalked up to learning. Not too worried about alcohol (except that its in there,
. It is beer, right!). I don't keep extract on hand but may need to consider that for emergencies.

Back