Too much water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomije87

Reaction score
I tried making the switch over to wine, from beer, and I think I already screwed up :(

I have a 6.5G carboy (I still need to get a 6G). After adding the clearing and stabilizing agents in a Pinot Gris kit, I "topped off" with water...except I topped off in a 6.5g, when it was designed for a 6g. Essentially, I added 1/2g too much water (after stabilizing and clearing agents).

I'm going to wait it out and see. But, do you think it'll be alright? I'm hoping the water addition doesn't throw off the function of the chemical additions. I'm thinking best case scenario: watered down wine. Worst case: screwed up batch and time to start over.

Thoughts?

it'll just be a tad watered down.

I've only made wine once, and I had a 6 gallon carboy, but I still had to do quite a bit of topping off. Instead of water, I opted to use store-bought wine of the same variety that I was making as my top-off fluid.

Back