Too much trub for bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
I'm taking samples of my swartzbier thinking I may bottle today but the beer I pull off has lots of floaty hop pellet remnants in it. How can I avoid having heaps of floaty hop bits in my bottles?

I'm using a coopers fermenter BTW and I've even tried tilting it away from the spigot so that the spigot isn't right at the bottom. Part of the problem could be that it's still windy here. Should I try bottling after it's had a calm day or two to settle? Is there a filter (nylon?) I can use?

Also how do I avoid this in the future? Should I have put my pellet hops in a nylon bag?

Thanks for the help!
BrewOnBoard

I'm taking samples of my swartzbier thinking I may bottle today but the beer I pull off has lots of floaty hop pellet remnants in it. How can I avoid having heaps of floaty hop bits in my bottles?

I'm using a coopers fermenter BTW and I've even tried tilting it away from the spigot so that the spigot isn't right at the bottom. Part of the problem could be that it's still windy here. Should I try bottling after it's had a calm day or two to settle? Is there a filter (nylon?) I can use?

Also how do I avoid this in the future? Should I have put my pellet hops in a nylon bag?

Thanks for the help!
BrewOnBoard
wait....let it set and it will settle out. Next time go to HOME DEPOT and but some 5 gallon baint strainer bags. sanitize one and stretch it over the openeing of your fermenting bucket..pour the wort through the strainer bag. remove the bag and wash it for later use or discard it as they are dirt cheap.

How long as it been in primary? I usually do a very minor strain/whirlpool after boil and come bottling time I have no suspended particulate. It also sounds like you are using your primary to bottle and that it has a spigot on it, this spigot is probably right near the bottom where the thick yeast and trub cake is. I would invest in a bottling bucket, I use a hardware store 5 gal bucket and a spigot for my bottling bucket. Then you can rack off of the hop and yeast sediment.

How long as it been in primary? I usually do a very minor strain/whirlpool after boil and come bottling time I have no suspended particulate. It also sounds like you are using your primary to bottle and that it has a spigot on it, this spigot is probably right near the bottom where the thick yeast and trub cake is. I would invest in a bottling bucket, I use a hardware store 5 gal bucket and a spigot for my bottling bucket. Then you can rack off of the hop and yeast sediment.

Been in the primary 'bout 2 months. Looks like straining the wort is the way to go next time. As for this time, I hope she settles out. As I mentioned I tilted the fermenter so that the spigot isn't at the low point, but still getting trub. I did move it to the counter top today, so we'll see how she goes tomorrow or the next day.

Really don't want to invest in a bottling bucket as space is so limited on the boat. I also don't see how I'd be able to rack off the hops as they're suspended it seems. Wouldn't they just get sucked up into the siphon?

BoB

Try either Gelatin a day or two before - really helps settting a lot out of the bucket - second even with the Gelatin, use a 1 gallon SANATIZED paint strainer bag (HomeDepot) over tied off on the end of your siphon or auto-siphon.

I was thinking "Windy, WTF does that have to do with anything?" then I saw your handle. For those that didn't catch it he's on a boat. Any way to get your hands on Gelatine? That will drop that $h!t out for you, or try cold crashing if you've got the facilities to. Otherwise you can rack/bottle with a siphon that has some sanitized pantyhose or cloth over the end to keep the gunk out.

Waiting probably won't help at all, if the rocking of the boat didn't make the particles settle I don't think they will anytime soon.

Wow, since you brew on a sail boat I would say the only way to do it is to brew hefeweizens and then filter them before bottling. Gelatin won't work since you probably can't bring the fermenter down to low enough temperature.
Ahoy matey!

wait....let it set and it will settle out. Next time go to HOME DEPOT and but some 5 gallon baint strainer bags. sanitize one and stretch it over the openeing of your fermenting bucket..pour the wort through the strainer bag. remove the bag and wash it for later use or discard it as they are dirt cheap.

+1 on 5 gal nylon paint strainer bags. I recently started using these after someone mentioned them--after I already had some beers dry hopping and others fermenting. For example, I brewed a super hoppy IPA a while back that had about 3 oz dry hops (pellet). I just put the strainer bag over the tube and rubber banded it while racking. It caught EVERYTHING. The beer was almost crystal clear. And that was RIGHT AFTER racking it! I'm going to start using them while brewing now and also put my dry hops in the strainer bags.

Paint strainers for the future for sure. As for the current brew....

Gelatin finings hey? Never used those, but I did jello shots in college.... :D Do I just dump them in and like magic the trub dissapears? Someone mentioned cold? Do I need to get the beer super cold to make trub jello?

BoB

Latest posts

Back