Too Much Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durandf

Reaction score
Hey.
I just bottled my brew but for some reason only got a half a case or so of bottles but I used 5 oz of priming sugar. Do i have a bunch of bottle bombs, should I re fermenter and put into an airlock ? Or leave alone and see what happens ?

How many gallons did you make? You should be using 1oz of priming sugar per gallon of wort. If you only have 12 bottles, like gypsy said, you are gonna have some bombs. Be careful yo.

sorry...actually 26 bottles..... 1 case ..still explosion city ? Should I referment

priming sugars allow you to carb differently/appropriately for each style of beer you brew. It sounds like you definitely used right around twice as much priming sugar as was necessary, and I wouldn't put the bottles near something you care about (or definitely not in your girlfriend's closet), but you may not be in Explosion City, just on the outskirts. I would suggest handling the bottles gently, placing them some place fairly cool, and some place fairly segregated. A back corner of a basement would be a great place.

Good luck bud.

Back