Too Much Spice? (Nutmeg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMike314

Reaction score
I created a variation of this spiced holiday ale, which I will post below. After reading a bunch of information on here and other sites, it looks like 2 tsp of nutmeg might just be enough to ruin a whole batch. As I'm getting ready to bottle in the next couple days, I'm just curious if this batch will be undrinkable, or if there's anything I can do to save it at this point. Wish I had done this research ahead of time! I really appreciate any advice and suggestions.

8 lb Light DME
1 lb Honey Malt
.2 lb Black Patent

11 oz lactose (15 min)
1 oz Simcoe (10 min)
1 oz Chinook (5 min)
2 tsp cinnamon (flameout)
2 tsp nutmeg (flameout)
1 tbsp vanilla extract (flameout)

Yeast: Safale US-05

In my experience, spices tend to fade with time, so if it's too strong at first, try letting it age a while.

Have you tried a sample? You will be able to tell pretty quick if the spice is too much.

The sweetness of the recipe may help to balance the spice load. It may be a decent sipper.

With my Pumpkin ... I use 3/4 tsp toward the end of boil. Then 1/8 in the secondary. The other spices i use in this style are all roughly the same measurements. This is for a 5 gallon batch. Yummm...

Back