Too much space in Carboy after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigaas

Reaction score
I'm working on my first batch of beer and last night I racked it from my primary fermenter into the carboy. Unfortunately, the carboy is now only about 3/4 full. Should I fill the rest of the carboy with water or should I just leave it? I don't really want a watered down beer, but I'm concerned about all the extra air in the carboy.

At this point, the carboy is capped and a trap is on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

sigaas said:
I'm working on my first batch of beer and last night I racked it from my primary fermenter into the carboy. Unfortunately, the carboy is now only about 3/4 full. Should I fill the rest of the carboy with water or should I just leave it?
Don't pour any water in there! There will still be enough CO2 generated/coming out of suspension to make a thin blanket and protect the beer from O2, IMHO.

I put water in once and the beer was way watered down I've never done it since no matter how much is left in the carboy.

I agree with all. Do not put any water in the carboy. Frequently I rack my primary into a 6.5 gal secondary. No problems yet.

Back