Too much room in Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonTerry

Reaction score
Gents,

Yesterday I racked my first AG Ale into the secondary and there is only about 4.5 gallons in there. Leaving a good gallon and a half of free space. Just seems like a lot of exposure. Is it too much?

Quite the learning curve. Thanks for all the help,

Very Best,

Jason

From what I have been told around here, it is ok. There is enough action still in the beer to produce a good blanket of CO2 and force the air out.
I asked the same question a few weeks ago.
Good luck!
Dave

You should be OK. The process of racking the beer releases some CO2 from the beer. It should be fine for the week or two it sits before bottling.
I try to brew so I get at least 5 1/2 gallons into the primary. Mainly because I want to end up with 5 gallons of finished beer either in bottles or in the keg. You might want to adjust your recipes so you will have more finished beer. :mug:

Excellent. this was my "shakedown cruise" to work out the kinks. Real happy with the flavors so far... I was hoping not to send it down hill with oxidation.

Thanks for the quick info.

Very Best,
Jason

Back